"Kalapana Fire by the Sea" Kalapana by c21andy

Kalapana Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos

Hawaii

I actually live in Kalapana, but since the volcano is currently erupting and lava is entering the ocean, I thought I might as well put down a few interesting facts and, perhaps myths about this most spiritual place. Once a thriving community with parks and beaches, our local goddess of lava, Pele, lavished the land with fresh lava. My property, a small cocunt plantation on 43 acres, is now surrounded by lava and I have to walk a mile to get home.

There are a number of B&B places nearby; perhaps the most fun is Kalani Honua known also as just Kalani.

The nearby town of Pahoa has a number of great restaurants; Thai, Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Pizza, etc and there are a number of places to stay there as well. The airport is in Hilo.

To find out about property here there are a couple of great websites: hilobrokers.com and hawaiiinformation.com.

Bring a good pair of shoes, water, flashlight, and camera. And a friend.

• Pros:Absolutely off the beaten path.
  • In a nutshell:Stark beauty, lots of sunshine and Hawaiian spirit!
  • Last visit to Kalapana: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 4, 2005

• Colzy's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2005 at 2:26 AM

Welcome to VT! Your 'in a nutshell' description makes me wnat to visit my travel agent right now! Will attempt to avoid the lava of course though... Happy travelling and thanks for sharing, Colleen :)

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Kalapana

Have you been to Kalapana?

Latest Activity in Kalapana