"Around the World in Eighty Dances" Genyke's Profile

I have been involved with international folk dancing since I was 10. One thing leading to another, I started to be more interested in different cultures, and soon wanted to meet the people who had "created" such fun dances. So that's pretty much what I have been doing for the past 30 years.

My first trip

I was 17, and spent a month in what was then Yougoslavia in a semi-all-inclusive trip. I had the chance to meet some locals by attending a local group's dance practice, and fell in love; I loved to travel, but mostly, I loved to meet new people, and get the chance to chat laboriously in languages that were not familiar to any of us, and redo the world with them while drinking a nice glass of wine!

Travelling without going anywhere

When I came back from Yugoslavia, one of the first thing I did was to join a Montreal Polish community group, where I danced for 4 or 5 years. I was the only non-Polish member, and all the practices were in Polish. Being part of the group also meant becoming part of the community and participating in different activities that were not always related to dancing. That's another way I found to travel without spending a penny. But dancing with this group also brought me all the way to Poland for very cheap, to participate in a festival!

Another way to travel for nothing has been to volunteer at a Folklore Festival, on and off (off when I am travelling...). I am a guide, which means that I am assigned to a group, and make sure that they are ready for all the activities that are planned for them during the festival. I also make sure that they have everything they need, and that they understand "how it works" at the festival, and in Canada in general. Every year, the festival ends leaving me with tons of email addresses of people waiting for me to go visit them.

Conclusion

I have been "visiting friend" all over Europe for a while now, and believe that that's the best way to travel! Everywhere I go, I am sure to meet people who share my love of folklore and party!

• Intro Updated Feb 5, 2014

Personal Pages (1)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Genyke's Profile Photo

Genyke

“Anything can be interesting ***sorry, I am building my pages very slowly!!!***”

Ranked Member