"Woonsocket" Woonsocket by ForestqueenNYC
Woonsocket Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 22 photos
When I was a girl living in Warwick and Quonset Point RI, I wanted to go to Woonsocket. I knew that they spoke French there because of the large population of French Canadians and I wanted to learn to speak French. It wasn't Paris or even Quebec, but at that time I was desperate to learn the language.
Before driving there today, I had visions of Woonsocket being a lovely city. Parts of it were charming with its old homes. But it is a mill town so parts of it were really ugly. There were five or six mills there at one time. The buildings are still there, but I am not sure they make anything in them anymore. I know the fabric mills moved to North Carolina in the late 50s.
It is a very clean town, as I have noticed all the places in RI that I have recently visited have been. The main street has been upscaled and had some trendy looking shops. I think it is a facinating look back to the past and, since it is not far from where I am staying in Massachusetts, I might go back and take another look from an historical point of view.
In the poorer section of town, probably where the millworkers lived, there is some rather interesting architecture--living quarters-- in a style that I had never seen before.
For more information take a look at this website.
ForestqueenNYC's Related Pages
Woonsocket Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Woonsocket...trying to be reborn..."
- "David Picard"
- "mmsdragon's new Woonsocket page"
- "Suzanne - Woonsocket, RI"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Woonsocket
- Hotels in Woonsocket
- Nightlife in Woonsocket
- Restaurants in Woonsocket
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Woonsocket
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Woonsocket?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woonsocket
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 282 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 62 reviews, 160 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 60 reviews, 137 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nice Intro, 14 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgetown Intro, 19 reviews, 24 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 25 reviews, 14 photos
- Wickford Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos