"Wickford, The Most Charming Seaport Village" Wickford by ForestqueenNYC

Wickford Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 127 photos

This Is The Real Thing

Wickford really is a seaport village. It's not one of those fake places like they have in San Diego. The houses have plaques on them saying who originally lived there and the date. Most of the houses in the historic center of town date in the 17 and 18 hundreds. People actually live in them and most of them have beautiful gardens.

If you go down to the wharf at the end of Main Street you will see where all the lobstermen dock their boats. There are piles of lobster pots stacked up all over the place.

On Brown Street behind Brooks Drug Store, you will see where boaters can dock while having dinner. The tiny harbor is filled with mostly sailboats.

Stroll Down Memory Lane

When my father was stationed at neighboring Quonset Point Naval Air Station, where I lived 50 years ago or a little less, I took dancing class with other junior high students at the local high school in Wickford. Those were fun times. And when I returned there yesterday after many years, wonderful memories were brought to mind. On the down side, I left feeling very old because even people who looked almost my age were at least 10 years younger than me and therefore didn't know the same people that I did. Most of the people I knew were also children of the Navy, and not locals, so if you were not in school with them then you wouldn't have known them.

Beware! Friendly People In Wickford

Everyone, without exception, whom I passed on the streets in Wickford greeted me with a friendly smile and a hello. This is a really friendly place. At least on the surface. I wasn't there long enough to really know. But surface friendliness is good enough for me.

This is a really cute town, beautifully kept along the historic main streets, and exceptionally clean.

I don't know if it is a law in RI, but, at least in both Wickford and the neighboring town of East Greenwich, if you are a pedestrian and enter the street to cross, all cars stop. This is hard to get used to since I live in New York and cross the most dangerous street in possibly the world at least once a day.

I ate an early dinner at the Wickford Diner and got a bit of history from the owner. In a nutshell, he told me there is no sewer in Wickford, never has been. I am sure you are interested to know that. In all of North Kingstown where Wickford is located, there is apparently only a septic tank situation. So consequently, sometimes there is an overflow into the bay. Not very attractive. Otherwise, I think this would be a charming place to live.

Incidentally, the owner of the Wickford Diner is also the owner of Duffy's Tavern and I have read on the internet that Duffy's has the best clamcakes in town.Janet from Rhode Island has a great page for Wickford. Anything I write will be more of my own personal journal. Here is Janet's Wickford page.

• Pros:Beautiful, Clean, Friendly, Free Parking
  • In a nutshell:A visit to Wickford is well worth the more than one hours drive fom Boston.
  • Last visit to Wickford: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 28, 2006

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Wickford is one of New England's best kept secret. Glad to see that you enjoyed your visit there.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2006 at 10:50 PM

Great little village..makes me a bit homesick. I'm in Poland right now. Glad you enjoyed your visit to RI. I must agree about Duffy's..didn't gain its popularity on stuffies, it was a tiny sailor's pub originally. My husband and buddies went there.

• barbskie's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2006 at 12:37 AM

Feel i'm gaining some pounds just reading your resto tips hahaha. Thanks anyway, i'm enjoying. Cheers!

ForestqueenNYC Used To Live Here!

ForestqueenNYC

“If you can't travel with your dog child, then a photo will have to do.”

Badges & Stats in Wickford

Have you been to Wickford?