"ROOSEVELT ISLAND" Roosevelt Island by ForestqueenNYC
Roosevelt Island Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 42 photos
Roosevelt Island is in the East River between Manhattan and Queens. You can get there from Manhattan by the F train or the tram. If you need to go there by car you must drive across the 59th Street bridge and enter from the Queens side of the island.
It might be worth a trip to this island to get a great view of Manhattan. Great photo ops.
People who live here really love it. It seems to have a real sense of community spirit. It was once occupied by a lot of subsidized housing, but that is starting to change with the building of upscale and expensive apartment buildings and condos.
It has a very interesting history, as I have read on Wikipedia. I have told a friend, who lives on the Upper East Side directly opposite from the building in which I am staying, that I could swim across to her apartment. That is not actually true. I have been told that I would surely be swept out to sea if I tried it. And in fact they built a prison here, which housed both Boss Tweed and Mae West, because no one would be able to escape alive. That prison is no longer here. It has since been relocated to Riker's Island.
You can read more about Roosevelt Island by doing a google search or going directly to wikipedia.
Another website with interesting information.
See my two videos viewing Manhattan from Roosevelt Island and Roosevelt Island from Manhattan.
- Pros:One stop on the F train from Manhattan, Great Scenic View
- In a nutshell:Really convenient to Manhattan for people who work there.
The Red Bus is the local Roosevelt Island Operating Corp. bus that will transport you from the metro or the tram to... more travel advice
This would be kind of fun and you would get a good aerial view of the city. I haven't worked up the courage to do it... more travel advice
Written Aug 10, 2008
Written Aug 14, 2008
Roosevelt Island from 72nd Street, Manhattan
ForestqueenNYC's Related Pages
Roosevelt Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ROOSEVELT ISLAND"
- "The Roosevelt Island Experience"
- "Roosevelt Island"
- "Around the Manhattan Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roosevelt Island
- Transportation in Roosevelt Island
- Restaurants in Roosevelt Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roosevelt Island
- 11 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Roosevelt Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roosevelt Island
Photos in Roosevelt IslandSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 282 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 62 reviews, 160 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 60 reviews, 137 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nice Intro, 14 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgetown Intro, 19 reviews, 24 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 25 reviews, 14 photos
- Wickford Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos