"Pensacola: City, Beach, Childhood Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola by ForestqueenNYC

Pensacola Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 565 photos

Pensacola is best known to some as the home of the Blue Angels and the Navy and to others as having the best beaches around. I know it as a place where I lived when I was a child.

The beaches in Pensacola are really beautiful with pure white, very fine sand. They call it sugar sand because it looks like sugar. Unfortunately, Pensacola Beach was not developed to enhance its beauty, in my opinion.

There is more to Pensacola than the beach and the Blue Angels, though. Having been settled in 1559 by Don Tristan de Luna, it is the oldest city in the U.S., or I should say, it was the oldest, before it was wiped out by a hurricane. St. Augustine now holds that title.

It also has some quite lovely old neighborhoods---North Hill and East Hill. And Seville Square, the historic area downtown is very southern and quite pretty. I hope someday to see the area where I used to shop with my mother, Palafox Street, developed into a thriving place. When I was last there, it was pretty isolated. It has so much potential.

You will find a number of excellent restaurants surrounding the Saville Square. There is also a big seafood festival in the square once a year.

The city has cultural activities too. Including a symphony and an arts council.

This is a city of oak trees. They line the streets and they are so beautiful. There is an area called "tunnel of trees". Some out-of-towners who had been to Pensacola were concerned about whether the trees were still standing after hurricane Ivan. Apparently they still are. I believe the tunnel is on either 9th or 12th Avenue right near the old Wisteria Bar.

When I returned from the North a few years ago, I found Pensacolians to be friendly, well mannered, and respectful. Some people say that it's superficial and that you can't make sincere friends there. I don't know about that. I only know that everyday life is easier when people are friendly and polite. So if you are going for a visit, I think you will find that you will have a pleasant stay.

I went there before hurricane Ivan.

City of Oak Trees

Pensacola has the most beautiful oak trees. I haven't been back since Ivan and I don't know how many of these old trees were lost. They are truly beautiful.

Snow in Pensacola, 1943

Pensacola is far north enough to require light coats in the winter, but it rarely gets snow. This was one of those days back in 1943. This photo was taken on Palafox Street facing the bay. The San Carlos Hotel is no longer there.

• Pros:Pretty small city with southern hospitality, southern cooking, and beautiful beaches. Not a Florida retirement community.
  • Cons:Can be unbearably humid.
  • In a nutshell:Southern hospitality, good swimming, good fishing, good boating, but very humid.
  • Last visit to Pensacola: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 6, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I have always liked this area, and from the photos and comments it seems as though you enjoyed yourself, also. YOu did a nice job of describing the sites.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2008 at 6:27 AM

Nice to meet you Francesca ~ Hope you enjoyed your visit to Copenhagen. We too love the beaches in the Florida panhandle and along the Alabama coast. Really enjoyed your family "home tour" ! A trip to Bountiful! Greetings from Augusta, Ga! Marcia

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Hi Francesca! Your page was helpful to us tonight. My husband is going to a Navy reunion in Pens. and is very interested in the Navy Lodge. Your transportation tips are helpful as well.

• Jan 30, 2007 at 6:19 PM

Thanks for the kind words! The Fish House did suffer damage from Ivan but with our community's help we rebuilt and remodeled and are having more fun than ever! Come back and visit us! ---Good Grits to you and yours!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2006 at 7:12 AM

Very useful links and beautiful pictures, especially in travelogues. Great to see your family houses :-) I was in Pensacola in Nov 2004, it was partly destroyed by hurricane that time :-(((

• Oct 4, 2005 at 10:44 AM

Good tips and excellent links! Thanks!

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2005 at 10:40 AM

Thanks ForestQueenNYC, for dropping by and your great comment, haven't seen all of Pensacola and will come back to see your photographs,... Greetzzz RoyJava

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 6:06 PM

I hope to go back and revisit Pensacola this December. It snowed once when we lived there. I hope it is warmer than that.

ForestqueenNYC Used To Live Here!

ForestqueenNYC

“If you can't travel with your dog child, then a photo will have to do.”

Badges & Stats in Pensacola

Have you been to Pensacola?