"Pensacola: City, Beach, Childhood Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola by ForestqueenNYC
Pensacola Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 565 photos
Pensacola is best known to some as the home of the Blue Angels and the Navy and to others as having the best beaches around. I know it as a place where I lived when I was a child.
The beaches in Pensacola are really beautiful with pure white, very fine sand. They call it sugar sand because it looks like sugar. Unfortunately, Pensacola Beach was not developed to enhance its beauty, in my opinion.
There is more to Pensacola than the beach and the Blue Angels, though. Having been settled in 1559 by Don Tristan de Luna, it is the oldest city in the U.S., or I should say, it was the oldest, before it was wiped out by a hurricane. St. Augustine now holds that title.
It also has some quite lovely old neighborhoods---North Hill and East Hill. And Seville Square, the historic area downtown is very southern and quite pretty. I hope someday to see the area where I used to shop with my mother, Palafox Street, developed into a thriving place. When I was last there, it was pretty isolated. It has so much potential.
You will find a number of excellent restaurants surrounding the Saville Square. There is also a big seafood festival in the square once a year.
The city has cultural activities too. Including a symphony and an arts council.
This is a city of oak trees. They line the streets and they are so beautiful. There is an area called "tunnel of trees". Some out-of-towners who had been to Pensacola were concerned about whether the trees were still standing after hurricane Ivan. Apparently they still are. I believe the tunnel is on either 9th or 12th Avenue right near the old Wisteria Bar.
When I returned from the North a few years ago, I found Pensacolians to be friendly, well mannered, and respectful. Some people say that it's superficial and that you can't make sincere friends there. I don't know about that. I only know that everyday life is easier when people are friendly and polite. So if you are going for a visit, I think you will find that you will have a pleasant stay.
I went there before hurricane Ivan.
Pensacola has the most beautiful oak trees. I haven't been back since Ivan and I don't know how many of these old trees were lost. They are truly beautiful.
Pensacola is far north enough to require light coats in the winter, but it rarely gets snow. This was one of those days back in 1943. This photo was taken on Palafox Street facing the bay. The San Carlos Hotel is no longer there.
- Pros:Pretty small city with southern hospitality, southern cooking, and beautiful beaches. Not a Florida retirement community.
- Cons:Can be unbearably humid.
- In a nutshell:Southern hospitality, good swimming, good fishing, good boating, but very humid.
It is possible to see the Blue Angels practice if you are in Pensacola when they are not out doing shows around the... more travel advice
Avaition buffs and non aviation buffs alike will find this museum interesting. more travel advice
- See All Yummmm
- See All Chartered Fishing Trips
- See All Train Transportation To Pensacola
ForestqueenNYC's Related Pages
Pensacola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "pensacola florida"
- "Pensacola: City, Beach, Childhood Home"
- "Eva's Pensacola and Pensacola Beach Page"
- "Flight Training in the Florida Panhandle"
- "Pensacola Beach"
- "Pensacola Florida"
- "3 1/2 Hours - and a world away - from New Orleans"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pensacola
- Hotels in Pensacola
- Transportation in Pensacola
- Nightlife in Pensacola
- Restaurants in Pensacola
- Shopping in Pensacola
- Warnings and Dangers in Pensacola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pensacola
- 29 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Pensacola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pensacola
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: Arriving March 10"
- Commented on one of SachaGriffin's Pensacola travel pages
- created a Pensacola Travelogue "Miscelleneous Photos From Pensacola"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Miscelleneous Photos From Pensacola"
- Wrote a Review Watch The Blue Angels Practice in Pensacola Things to Do
Photos in PensacolaSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 282 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 62 reviews, 160 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 60 reviews, 137 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nice Intro, 14 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgetown Intro, 19 reviews, 24 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 25 reviews, 14 photos
- Wickford Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos