Florence Warnings Or Dangers Tips by ForestqueenNYC Top 5 Page for this destination
Florence Warnings and Dangers: 152 reviews and 83 photos
They are like bees buzzing around Florence. The drivers of these mopeds think they are immune to the law, so it is not unusual for them to drive up the street in the wrong direction. So, if you should be walking in the street because the sidewalk is too narrow, they could be right behind you. Be alert.
MAY 21, 2006 UPDATE: I CAN'T EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH SINCE I HAD MY WALLET TAKEN OUT OF MY PURSE THE OTHER DAY. AND I THOUGHT I WAS BEING SO CAREFUL. FORTUNATELY I HAD ALREADY STARTED CARRYING MY CARDS AND MONEY IN ONE OF THOSE TRAVEL POUCHES.
You must be absolutely alert and awake at all times for pickpockets. The most obvious, of course, are the small groups of women with their children in tow and a baby in their arms. They work as a group and they usually carry a newpaper with them. I never found out what they do with it, but it plays a roll in their thievery. Don't let them intimidate you. I even yelled at them to get away (learn how to do this in Italian) and they scrammed.
They are not the only ones who earn their living this way though, so, in general, just be careful. Nothing is worse than having your money and your passport stolen.
"Pious" Beggar, Florence Version, 2006
This is not someone praying. A friend of mine had told me that she had seen a very pious beggar on the street. I knew she was talking about this person. I couldn't believe that she actually believed this person was pious so maybe some others of you out there have also fallen for this. These so called pious beggars can be found in both Paris and Florence and I saw them 14 years ago when I lived in Europe. I have wondered if they are all part of the same group.
More Reviews (59)
- See All WHAT TO WEAR IN FLORENCE
- See All English Language Bookstore
- See All Not Very Good
- See All Palazzo Vecchio, Uffizi, Meeting Place
- See All Entertainment On A Budget: The Buskers
ForestqueenNYC's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "weekends in Florence"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fourth time round....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 62 Reviews
- 160 Photos
- 77 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
Photos in FlorenceSee All Photos (160)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 282 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 62 reviews, 160 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 60 reviews, 137 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nice Intro, 14 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgetown Intro, 19 reviews, 24 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 25 reviews, 14 photos
- Wickford Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Il Duomo - Santa Maria del Fiore- 249 Reviews, 514 Photos
- Ponte Vecchio- 191 Reviews, 322 Photos
- Uffizi Gallery - Galleria Degli Uffizi- 174 Reviews, 242 Photos
- David Statue- 71 Reviews, 96 Photos
- Piazzale Michelangelo- 73 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Basilica Di Santa Croce- 122 Reviews, 240 Photos
- Pitti Palace - Palazzo Pitti- 67 Reviews, 143 Photos
- Galleria dell'Accademia- 78 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Palazzo Vecchio- 77 Reviews, 158 Photos
- Piazza Della Signoria- 96 Reviews, 198 Photos
See All Florence Things to Do