Florence Things to Do Tips by ForestqueenNYC Top 5 Page for this destination
Florence Things to Do: 2,105 reviews and 3,661 photos
Tempio Maggiore, The Great Synagogue of Florence
Even if you are not Jewish you will be impressed with the beauty of the temple and its blue dome. So I hope you will take a tour. Stop in at the Chassidic run restaurant next door for lunch or dinner afterwards. The falafel and hummus are excellent. It is Kosher and Middle Eastern cuisine.
For an excellent history of the Jews in Florence see the Jewish Virtual Librairy website below.
Phone: Fax: 39-055-241811
Address: Via L.C. Farini 4
Directions: Saint Ambrogio District not far from Santa Croce.
Other Contact: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary
Santa Maria del Fiore ("Duomo")Piazza del Duomo,
The churches in Italy are masterpieces of architecture and most have wonderful art in them by the masters.
See the link below for more information on art in the church.
I am taking Italian at a wonderful school called Centro Koinè. It is very relaxing and I love my teacher and classmates. You can actually take just for a week if you want and there are also online classes.
Address: Via de' Pandolfini 27 I.
Directions: Not far from the back of the Duomo.
Phone: 39 055 213881
If you have not read The Agony and the Ecstacy, then I strongly recommend the book by Irving Stone--terrific. Then go to the Accademia to see David and walk over to the house where Michelangelo lived, Casa Buonarroti . Reading the book will make it all so much more real and exciting.
Address: Via Ghibellina 70, Florence
Palazzo Vecchio, Piazza della Signoria, Florence
Piazza Signoria is the final stop of the evening passeggiata where Italians and tourists alike meet their friends and decide what to do for the rest of the evening. At night you can find buskers playing their music and lots of people, many of whom are students, hanging out. There are a number of outdoor cafes and an Irish pub on the square. The Palazzo Vecchio, where my son got married, is also there as is the Uffizi.
Directions: At the end of Via Calzaiouli
No one does windows like the Florentines and of course it goes without saying that the Italian designers are the leaders in fashion especially shoes. You can definitely shop til you drop without spending a dime.
Suset From Ponte Vecchio, Florence 2006
The photos speak for themselves. I include the night shot even though it is blurry just because I like it.
Palazzo Strozzi On Via Tornabuoni, Florence 2006
I find that I love taking photos at night or early evening. I haven't perfected it yet so a lot of my shots are still blurry but you can get some wonderful effects. Here are just a few that I have done.
Florence And The Duomo From Piazzale Michelangelo
Take the bus up to Piazza Michelangelo for a fantastic view of the city. Take your camera for some magnificent shots.
Address: Piazzale Michelangelo
Directions: Take bus 12 or 13 (12 is faster) from the train station. Or cross the river and enjoy the 20 minute walk (followed by a steep stair climb) from the center of town.
This piazza was built between 1890 and 1917. It replaced the medieval town center or Mercato Vecchio . This was a trading and bartering center.
Today on this piazza there are several very chic and expensive bars and restaurants and a wonderful old carosel. It is a good meeting place and everynight you will find buskers singing and playing their music.
Address: Piazza della Republica
More Reviews (52)
- See All WHAT TO WEAR IN FLORENCE
- See All English Language Bookstore
- See All Not Very Good
- See All Beggars
- See All Entertainment On A Budget: The Buskers
ForestqueenNYC's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekends in Florence"
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fabulous Florence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Explore the World
- Toril Hotels
- Manglisi Hotels
- Candijay Hotels
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area Hotels
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 62 Reviews
- 160 Photos
- 77 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
Photos in FlorenceSee All Photos (160)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 282 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 62 reviews, 160 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 60 reviews, 137 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nice Intro, 14 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgetown Intro, 19 reviews, 24 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 25 reviews, 14 photos
- Wickford Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
Latest Florence hotel reviews
- Jolly Hotel Florence
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Hotel Demidoff
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 4, 2013
- Hotel David
- 1331 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- Hotel Morandi Alla Crocetta
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Hotel Balestri
- 250 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Suore Oblate dell'Assunzione
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Bernini Palace by Baglioni Hotels
- 400 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Spagna
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Casa Rabatti
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2013
- Campeggio Michelangelo
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013
- Casa Santo Nome di Gesu
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- Bonciani Hotel
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Soggiorno Magliani
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 12, 2012
- Albergotto Hotel
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Il Salviatino
- 288 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Il Duomo - Santa Maria del Fiore- 265 Reviews, 543 Photos
- Palazzo Vecchio- 76 Reviews, 150 Photos
- The Uffizi Gallery- 160 Reviews, 222 Photos
- Ponte Vecchio & Arno River- 203 Reviews, 344 Photos
- Pitti Palace & Boboli Gardens- 125 Reviews, 263 Photos
- David Statue- 85 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Piazza della Signoria- 115 Reviews, 232 Photos
- Piazalle Michelangelo- 61 Reviews, 114 Photos
- Basilica Santa Croce- 94 Reviews, 169 Photos
- Galleria dell'Accademia- 57 Reviews, 61 Photos
See All Florence Things to Do