Florence Restaurant Tips by ForestqueenNYC Top 5 Page for this destination

Florence Restaurants: 624 reviews and 618 photos

Trattoria Garga, Florence, Italy 2005 - Florence

Trattoria Garga, Florence, Italy 2005

Trattoria Garga: NOW CLOSED. See note below about new restaurant.

It's been a long time since I lived in Florence, but when I did I loved this restaurant. It was beautiful with lots of atmosphere and the food was good with a twist. I am sad to say that it is closed, but the son of the owners has opened up another restaurant called La Cucina del Garga and I am sure that it will be equally as good and every bit as fun. See the blog, Over a Tuscan Stove, for an update.

Address: Via del Moro, 48

Comparison: more expensive than average

Directions: Not far from Piazza Santa Maria Novella on the way to the Arno.

Other Contact: http://www.divinacucina.com/code

Harry's - Florence

Harry's

Harry's Bar: Sophisticated, Elegantissimo, and Upscale

Update 1/14/06

I went to Harry's last night. Had two delicious Bellinis at 9E a piece and the gnocci with salmon which was delicious, even if not the most tender gnocci that I have ever eaten. The chocolate cake was not my style. More of a mousse cake which I don't like. The bill was about 50E which I consider expensive.

This is a very elegant bar and restaurant and the regulars, who knew each other, were obviously from among the wealthy Florentines. Even in their casual attire they were expensively dressed.

I was sorry that Leo, the owner from 10 years ago, had retired. I did recognize the bartender from that era, but not the maitre d' who has been there for 20 years. I believe all the others were relatively new.

It was still a real pleasure being there and brought back wonderful memories.

Ties are not necessarily required, but dress is still very nice, even if casual.

ORIGINAL POSTING

If you are dying for a real Martini (if you ask for a Martini in an Italian bar you will get a glass of Martini Rossi) or a Brandy Alexander, this is the place to go. Leo knows how to make them. He also makes an excellent Bellini.

This is a very sophisticated place much like Harry's in other cities, although, I believe they are each owned by different people. The drinks and food are excellent.

Since I was alone, I often went there for lunch, rather than dinner, although, I have seen women dining alone at dinner. The wait staff is very nice and they didn't treat me any differently than people who were with someone else.

I would suggest that you dress nicely-probably would not wear jeans nor shorts. They might require a tie. I don't remember.

Favorite Dish: Anything you order here will be good.

Address: Lungarno Vespucci 22/r

Comparison: more expensive than average

Directions: Along the Arno not far from the American Consulate.

Phone: 055/2396700

Price: US$41 and up

Theme: American

• Updated Nov 4, 2012
Piazza Santo Spirito - Florence

Piazza Santo Spirito

Borgo Antico in Piazza Santo Spirito: Update: June 9, 2006

UPDATE June 9, 2006
Bad news. I had lunch here today and I was so disappointed. I dont think I have to go there again.

ORIGINIAL COMMENTS
This was my favorite place to go for lunch and I went often. At that time, '92-94, it had not yet been discovered by the tourists, so it was still a local Florentine restaurant.

They serve big plates of pasta and I mean big. Pasta al vongole was what I usually ordered with a small caraffe of wine. I always went home happy as a clam.

The atmosphere is very happy and friendly.

Favorite Dish: Pasta al vongole. But you can't go wrong with anything you order here.

Address: Piazza Santo Spirito, 50125 Firenze

• Updated Dec 17, 2011
Hot Pot - Florence

Hot Pot

Hotpot: The Closet Thing To A New York Diner Hot Pot Review

Hotpot is one of those self serve cafeteria style eating places right off of Via Calzoiuli. There are a number of these self serve places, but this one is my favorite. The food is ordinary and the atmosphere is far from charming. But I spent a lot of time there because of a bad knee. The people are so nice that they didn't mind if I just sat with a coke for hours. Sometimes I would have dinner or lunch and that is when I was reminded of my diner in Queens that I went to regularly. If you are from NY you know what diner food is. Hotpot food is Italian diner food. I stick with roast chicken and potatoes and a cheap bottle of wine or a sprite. It isn't the place where I am going to try something Italian.

You can also use their bathrooms without buying anything although of course it is their hope that you will have something to eat if not then later.

Favorite Dish: Chicken is probably a safe bet here.

Address: Via Lamberti 5r

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Off of Via Calzaouli across from the Oransmichele

Phone: 055 21 3381

Rating: 3

• Updated Apr 4, 2011
Cantinetta dei Verrazzano Florence 2006 - Florence

Cantinetta dei Verrazzano Florence 2006

Cantinetta dei Verrazzano Florence: Wine and Foccaccia Cantinetta Dei Verrazzano Review

One of my favorites, this is a wonderful wine bar and pasticceria. It is a great place to have a light lunch or an afternoon coffee or glass of wine and dessert. Besides great chianti they serve bruschetta or focaccia and other delectable things. Eat sitting at the little bench at the wall or you can sit down inside or outside. Pick out a dessert from the glass case.

This place has an old fashioned atmosphere.

Hours Mon-Sat 8am-9pm

Prices Focaccia sandwiches .95€-2.85€ ($1.10-$3.30); glass of wine 1.30€-8€ ($1.50-$9.20)

Credit Cards AE, DC, MC, V

Phone: 055-268-590

Website: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/florence/D53839.html

• Updated Apr 15, 2007
Antica Taberna del Botticelli: Not Very Good

First off let me say that I am not sure that the name of this restaurant is Antica Taberna or Taverna. The font used on the card makes it appear to be taberna, but when I looked it up I could only find reviews of Antica Taverna although there were other places using the b. Anyway, whatever it's name, it is located right next door to Trattoria ZaZa and it gets the overflow from that restaurant. Although I read another excellent review of the restaurant on another site, I didn't like it. I didn't like the food nor did I like the service. I would not go back.

Address: Piazza del Mercato Centrale, 30

Directions: Behind the San Lorenzo Market and the Mercato Centrale.

Phone: 055-293392

Rating: 1

• Written Aug 8, 2006
Il Pirata: Budget Homestyle Cooking Il Pirata Review

This is a pretty good rosticceria. You can stop in here at lunch and pick up your primi, secondi, vegetables, chicken, beef, meat loaf when they have it, and panini among other things. It is very inexpensive. You can even get a small bottle of wine. I ate here quite a lot.

Address: via de Ginori

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Not far from the San Lorenzo Market.

Phone: 055-21-86-25

Rating: 4

• Written Aug 7, 2006
GELATERIA GROM: Ice Cream

I haven't seen much written about this gelateria, but frankly I think it is better than the famous ones. I hope more people will discover it because it would be a shame if it didn't succeed.

Address: via del Campanile, 2

Directions: on the corner of via dell'Oche one block off of via Calzaiouli

Phone: 055-216158

Theme: Ice Cream

Website: http://www.grom.it

• Written Aug 7, 2006
Ruth's: Kosher Vegetarian Food Ruth's Review

Ruth's is right next to the Tempio Maggiore, The Great Synagogue of Florence. I had excellent falafel and hummus. I would highly recommend it even if you are not Jewish.

For those of you who are vegetarian, I think you will find some very good choices in Medeterranian cuisine. For those of you who are kashrut, Ruth's is under the supervision of the Chief Rabbi of the Jewish Community of Florence, Rav Joseph Levi.

Favorite Dish: falafel and hummus

Price: US$11-20

Theme: Kosher/Halal

Website: http://www.kosheruth.com

• Updated Aug 7, 2006
Gnocchi, Gelatto, Gorgonzola Sauce: The Best In My Opinion Trattoria Nella Review

BEST GNOCCHI is at NELLA at Via delle Terme, 19/r. Tel: 055-21.89.25. It is so light and tender. A real dream. I had the gnocchi al gorgonzola. Service is not pleasant though. Just ignore it. Mostly local Italians seem to eat there.

BEST GORGONZOLA SAUCE. Nella has the tenderest gnocchi, but I like the gorgonzola sauce at RISTORANTE PAOLI better. The waiters are much nicer too.

BEST GELATO places hands down are VIVOLI and GROM http://www.grom.it/ I also like I Medici on Viale Statuto within walking distance from the train station. It is a local hang out where you wont find tourists. The people there are the nicest in town always with a big smile on their faces.

• Updated Aug 1, 2006

ForestqueenNYC Used To Live Here!

ForestqueenNYC

“If you can't travel with your dog child, then a photo will have to do.”

Badges & Stats in Florence

Have you been to Florence?

Latest Activity in Florence