"My Relationship With Firenze" Top 5 Page for this destination Florence by ForestqueenNYC

Florence Travel Guide: 5,191 reviews and 11,574 photos

Like A Bad Marriage

FROM ORIGINAL POSTING. SEE UPDATE FROM MAY AND JUNE 2006 BELOW

I lived in Florence for two years,1992-1994. Although the city made me crazy, because I didn't find it to be a polite city, it is addictive and I wish I were still there. However, I know that if I were to go back to live, I would once again be pulling my hair out.

My relationship with this city is like a bad marriage. I love it dearly, but we don't get along. We fight all the time, I leave, I miss it desperately, I deceive myself into believing that everything will be better the next time. So, I go back again, and we start all over, fighting, anger, leaving. Maybe, next time, I'll try Bologna.

The food is good though.

As you can see, I was quite a bit younger in the photo taken in 1994. I had blond hair then. And of course fewer wrinkles. In fact in spite of the delicious food, I was also quite thin. Never have I walked so much and I think that is what helped keep the weight off.

My restaurant tips are based on my time there as a resident and not as a tourist. I did return a couple of years ago and those restaurants were still in business and still excellent.

I will write later, after I sort through photos. Not sure I have many because I didn't want to be identified as a tourist at that time. I was trying to be so Italian.

My First Time In Florence

This was my first trip to Florence in around 1991. I am with one of my dearest friends who is a Roman. I believe once you make a friend with an Italian, which is not necessarily the easiest thing to do, you will be friends forever. I have two Italian friends and we have kept in touch for 15 and 12 years with regular phone calls, visits, and emails (used to be letters).

As most of you know these doors are replicas.

Florence May 2006

Well I am back in Florence until June. My son will marry here so I decided to come for a month from Paris rather than return to the US.

I must say that I am having a completely different reaction. Even though the tourist groups are worse than ever, they dont seem to bother me as much and I am actually finding that many of the Florentines are friendly. Maybe aging 14 years has mellowed me.

BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO MY ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, I HAVE HAD TO USE ANOTHER VERY POOR SUBSTITUTE PROGRAM SO SOME TIP PICTURES ARE CORRECTED VERY BADLY. PLEASE TRY TO OVERLOOK THIS.

Reading List:

The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone

Medici Money by Tim Parks

• Pros:A beautiful city, great art, great food, great escape.
  • Cons:Tour groups drive you absolutely mad.
  • In a nutshell:A fabulous city that unfortunately has to live off of tourists which makes it an unpleasant place to be.
  • Last visit to Florence: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 5, 2007

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Thank you for all these great tips on Florence! I will take some of your restaurant tips with me next summer!

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I like your little photo montage of "The Tourists Are Coming"

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2011 at 2:37 AM

Hi Francesca! Loved your tips; thanks for sharing! Question: maaany years ago I had dinner at a hilltop restaurant overlooking the city (rather fancy). Could have been Villa San Michele, but are there others with a terrace? Would be grateful if you knew

• May 12, 2011 at 7:07 AM

My 17 yrs daughter is going to Europe through school. She is going to London, Paris, Bern, Lucern), Venice, Rome Florence and Pompeii.. If you have any tips that you think might be helpful on shopping I would love if you would share them.

• Sep 8, 2010 at 7:57 AM

I've heard don't buy leather from the markets, it's chinese made. Have you heard of Pierotucci? I read they make handmade leather products and though they're not cheap, its excelelnt quality, And have you used their on-line service? Thanks

• windoweb's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Thanks for the tips. We can put them to use this fall for our 10 day trip to Italy.

• zumodemango's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2009 at 3:32 AM

wonderful page of a wonderful city!Florence is one of the places i like most!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Piazza della Republica is so beautiful and what a wonderful selection of restaurants to choose from. Now I am hungry:)Wonderful page!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2008 at 9:54 AM

I hope to visit Florence at Easter's. Ciao!

• alexisa's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2007 at 2:47 PM

thanks I love reading and I am going next year to see the David, and I would like to know why do you reccomend that book. I will get it as soon as possible.

ForestqueenNYC Used To Live Here!

ForestqueenNYC

“If you can't travel with your dog child, then a photo will have to do.”

Badges & Stats in Florence

Have you been to Florence?

Latest Activity in Florence