"ROME AT LAST" Rome by ForestqueenNYC

Rome Travel Guide: 11,963 reviews and 26,445 photos

Home at Last

This is the view from my home In October of 2003. I rented an apartment in Rome not far from the Basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano. For one month I studied Italian at Scuola Leonardo da Vinci. When I first started attending the school, I took the bus, but one evening while waiting for bus after bus to arrive, all packed to the gills, I watched some poor old lady fly out the back door and land on her back. That was the last time I took a bus. From then on I walked to and from school and everywhere else. I might add that I lost several pounds as a result and I had the pleasure of walking past the Coloseo every day.

Smart Parking in Rome

When I first went to Rome during the Gulf War, people parked on sidewalks. I didn't see that this time around. I think it may be against the law now. But I did see a Smart car wedged in between two cars. Pretty smart, hunh?

Synagogue in Rome

According to http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/vjw/Rome.html, the Jewish community in Rome is the oldest in Europe. The synagogue is located on the Lungotevere Cenci across from Trastevere and in the Jewish Ghetto. It is opened for tours.

For more information go to this site:

• Pros:You can't possibly be bored here.
  • Cons:Very crowded. Of course I don't mind that, I'm from NYC.
  • In a nutshell:History, architecture, nice people, good food.
  • Last visit to Rome: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 8, 2005

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2005 at 5:55 AM

What a wonderful trip you must have had. Rome is such an exciting city...I felt like a sponge filled to capacity at the end of every day.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2005 at 1:32 PM

Funny how every city claims to have the oldest synagogue. In Prague, they said theirs is the oldest.

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2005 at 9:15 PM

Ciao Francesca! I love Rome and it would be great to live there for a month like what you did. I hope to return some time soon!

ForestqueenNYC

“If you can't travel with your dog child, then a photo will have to do.”

Badges & Stats in Rome