"Paris" Paris by ForestqueenNYC
Paris Travel Guide: 22,471 reviews and 55,005 photos
Spent a really nice Christmas with the French family with whom I have been staying. Tradition here is: Christmas eve -- raw oysters on the half shell with vinegar and foi gras with appropriate wines and sauterne. I admit to passing on the oysters, though I don't mind them, they are not my favorite. Christmas day -- turkey is traditional or, if you prefer, capon, which I think is better than turkey. There is no cranberry sauce nor pumpkin or pecan pie, and steamed chestnuts with butter are served rather than mashed potatoes. No green vegetables and no sweet potatoes. Always, of course the green salad and the magnificent cheese plate and a clementine for desert. Of course, the bouche noel. Not sure that is spelled right.
Thanks to living with a French family, I am speaking much more than I would have ever dreamed ,although I have a long way to go before I can call myself fluent. By the time I leave Paris in May, I should be feeling quite comfortable with the language.
I will be going to Florence for New Year's eve and will stay there a week before going to Rome for a few days. I am taking EasyJet to Pisa and the airport train to Florence. Will take the train back from Rome, at least as far as Nice. I plan to stop in Rapallo and Santa Margarita on the way and then make a visit to friends in Aix-en-Provence. Then by train on to Paris.
I have taken tons of photos, but will not be able to post any of them until I am back in the U.S.
November 16, 2005 Update
Hi, I have been in Paris for a week now and have started the language school. It is very peaceful where ever I have been and I have experienced no anti Americanism.
I will take a lot ot notes and photos while here, but will not post until I return to the U.S. in May. It is not the way I want to spend my time especially since these computers at the internet cafes are terrible. Will check in every week on the forums, though.
This is, so far, the only photo that I can find of Paris. It is of the famous bookstore, Shakespeare & Co. The owner was kind enough to pose with me.
From the website, here is a quote about George Whitman, the owner.
George Whitman is the legendary owner of Shakespeare and Company. He originally comes from Salem, Massachusetts, but for the last sixty years has made Paris his home. George is a bibliophile of such stature that he insists his guests read a book a day and believes himself to be living in a novel. At 91 years old, he has recently retired but still sits as a figurehead above his store.
The Lost King of France : How DNA Solved the Mystery of the Murdered Son of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette by Deborah Cadbury
Marie Antoinette : The Journey by Antonia Fraser
Catherine de Medici : Renaissance Queen of France by Leonie Frieda
A Traveler's History Of France by Robert Cole
Since I had no computer therefore no internet to spend umpteen hours on, I took up reading again. I must say there were enough rainy days during the time I have been in Paris to read dozens of books, but I only read 15 including those already mentioned. I enjoyed everyone of them.
My reading list is a follows:
Braveheart by Randall Wallace
The Final Solution by Michael Chabon
The Conspiracy Paper by David Liss
The Confessor by Daniel Silva
Standoff by Sandra Brown
The Last Lover by Laura Van Wormer
The Pity of It All by Amos Elon
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
Them by John Ronson
The Men Who Stared at Goats by John Ronson
The last two were recommended to me by the very funny man who works at The Village Voice Bookstore on Rue de la Princess. Them was particularly funny.
I bought these books both used and new the The Village Voice, Shakespeare and Co., The San Francisco Book Company, and the Canadian Bookstore.
2008 Books Read in Paris
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
- Pros:Beautiful City, Lots of Culture, Friendly People
- Cons:Rains way too much
Pitzman Restaurant Dairy Kashrut certification : Kosher Rav Rottenberg more travel advice
Passy is a very lovely upscale quartier in the 16th arrondissement. It's within walking distance of Place Trocadero.... more travel advice
- See All If You Need a Pharmacy
- See All PEDESTRIANS: Staggered Traffic...
- See All Where to Buy Metro Tickets
- See All Buskers
ForestqueenNYC's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 110 Reviews
- 285 Photos
- 428 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 282 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 62 reviews, 160 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 60 reviews, 137 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nice Intro, 14 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgetown Intro, 19 reviews, 24 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 25 reviews, 14 photos
- Wickford Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
Latest Paris hotel reviews
- Disney's Davy Crockett Ranch - Parks tickets included
- 608 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Le Meridien Etoile
- 1430 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Opera Franklin Hotel Paris
- 167 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Hotel de Crillon Paris
- 308 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Citea La Defense Leonard Da Vinci
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- La Villa Saint-Germain Paris
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Sofitel Paris La Defense Centre Hotel
- 451 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Kyriad Paris Montparnasse
- 220 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Alfa Hotel Nation
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Disney's Newport Bay Club - Parks tickets included
- 1332 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Hotel Paris Rivoli
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Jardin De L Odeon
- 727 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Mercure Paris Gobelins Place D Italie
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Hotel Perfect
- 198 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Hotel Westminster Opera
- 283 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013