"VERSAILLES, A WOW EXPERIENCE" Versailles by ForestqueenNYC
Versailles Travel Guide: 657 reviews and 2,428 photos
It took me three trips to Paris to finally go to Versailles. I don't know why because I had read Marie Antoinette by Antonia Fraser during my first stay in Paris and I really wanted to see where she lived, to get more of a feel for her and the King.
So finally two weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon at the beginning of February, 2008, I took the RER C from Musee d'Orsay, and went out to the town just to walk around, not to actually go to the chateau. The town was beautiful, but cold and not like a little French village, but more like a military academy in the U.S. The next Sunday was magnificent so I took the train out again just to walk around the town and the gardens which required no ticket. I entered through the gate where the bassin du dragon is and walked and walked until I finally came upon le jardin where I saw the chateau from a distance and WOW. I couldn't believe it. People actually lived there??
I will go out again several more times in the Spring with ticket in hand, because there is no way that I am going to stand in line to buy a ticket. I think the ville de Versailles must be absolutely beautiful in the spring and look forward to my next visit.
I will update this page with more tips each time I go there.
This is the bassin du dragon near where I entered the park. It is free to walk in the gardens and you can spend a whole day there or more.
One of the nearby streets in Versailles. It had a very cold, lonely, feeling.
This can be very pleasant and you don't have to wait in a line to get in, at least not for the walk. I went in through... more travel advice
There does not seem to be an abundance of restaurants in Versailles. At least not anywhere where I walked. So I would... more travel advice
ForestqueenNYC's Related Pages
Versailles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grandeur Beyound Words"
- "ON THE STEPS OF MARIE-ANTOINETTE."
- "Moscow - Versailles"
- "When Kings lived in Versailles"
- "The Chateau de Versailles"
- "I can see why they chopped off their heads!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Versailles
- Hotels in Versailles
- Transportation in Versailles
- Nightlife in Versailles
- Restaurants in Versailles
- Shopping in Versailles
- Warnings and Dangers in Versailles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Versailles
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Versailles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Versailles
Photos in VersaillesSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 282 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florence Intro, 62 reviews, 160 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 60 reviews, 137 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aix-en-Provence Intro, 30 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nice Intro, 14 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgetown Intro, 19 reviews, 24 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 25 reviews, 14 photos
- Wickford Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
Latest Versailles hotel reviews
- Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
- 548 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Pullman Versailles Chateau Paris
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Ibis Paris Versailles Chateau
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Le Cheval Rouge
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013