"The meat production capitol of Estonia !" Rakvere by mcblacktiger
Rakvere Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 39 photos
Rakvere is the meat production capitol of Estonia and also the namesake of the largest meat production company in all of the baltic states.
The first written mention of Rakvere was when Henry of Livonia first described the wooden stronghold of Tarvanpaa in 1226. Later in 1302, the Danes built a stone fortress and that same year Rakvere(present day name) recieved it's settlement charter. Throughout it's history it has been ruled by many different countries.
The aurochs(large bull) statue, pictured here, was commisioned for the 700th aniversary of Rakvere's city charter and was sculpted by the Estonian artist Tauno Kangro.
Today Rakvere is the county government seat and has a population of about 19,000 residents.
For more info: www.rakvere.ee
I read somewhere else in VT that this is also a was memmorial; this is not true. The names on the side of the monument are private donors to the bull. The war memorial is a ways south of the castle.
- Pros:Many things to do around Rakvere.
- Cons:It is definatly a "blue collar" working town.
- In a nutshell:A nice daytrip form Tallinn.
Rakvere castle is usually closed during the winter, but we got lucky because they had opened it for three tour groups... more travel advice
There are many manor houses located around Rakvere, including Arkna, Karitsa, Kloodi, Kullaaru, Lasila, Madipea, and... more travel advice
mcblacktiger's Related Pages
Rakvere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GET TO KNOW RAKVERE"
- "The meat production capitol of Estonia !"
- "Ben-UK's Rakvere page"
- "A nice small town"
- "My home city :)"
- "The Old Bull's Head"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rakvere
- Hotels in Rakvere
- Transportation in Rakvere
- Restaurants in Rakvere
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rakvere
- 7 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Rakvere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rakvere
Top 10 Pages
- Pôrto das Galinhas Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn Intro, 13 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuressaare Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rakvere Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saaremaa Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Orlando Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Oslo Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
No friends yet.