"Sint-Truiden (Limburg)" Sint-Truiden by johnmperry
Sint-Truiden Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 29 photos
Here I am in yet another neat and sparkling Flemish town. It was a really hot day in July, so the tourism was taken at a medium pace. The conducted walk from the tourist office at 2p.m. on Sunday is good value at 100BF - it was partly in English, even though the guide book says that that has to be ordered in advance. Me, I just turned up and it was fine. The price includes the 60BF entrance to the Festraets astronomical clock. Not only that, but the guide had keys to parts you can't normally see, including the archepiscopal palace and the subterranean remains of one of the town gates.
Sint-Truiden has the second largest main square in Belgium (the biggest is at St-Niklaas in Antwerpen).
The campus of the Beguinage still exists. Nothing original survives, as it was considerably rebuilt in the early 17th century. Today there are a few old houses and the farm still standing, but it is completely secular, even to the extent of having its own bar, and houses are still being built.
The beguinage church contains some important early wall-paintings (NB not frescoes), and is on the UNESCO World Heritage list.
Sint-Truiden also has a surviving Boegaerden, which is where the beghards (male beguines) lived.
There is an astronomic clock, dating from around 1930 (Belgian centenary). (Incidentally, there is another astronomical clock to be seen at Lier, built about the same time. Was there a competition or what?)
- In a nutshell:A good afternoon out in a pretty Flemish town coruscating in sunshine
johnmperry's Related Pages
Sint-Truiden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My hometown"
- "Heart of the Haspengouw fruit region"
- "Sint-Truiden (Limburg)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sint-Truiden
- Restaurants in Sint-Truiden
- Shopping in Sint-Truiden
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sint-Truiden
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Sint-Truiden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sint-Truiden
Photos in Sint-TruidenSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Huadu Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Uyuni Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Qingyuan Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Belgium Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kaiping Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Bohol 1 review, 4 photos
- Gozo Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Liuzhou Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 3 photos
No friends yet.