"IMPREXXION: SINGAPORE" Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore by xuessium

Singapore Travel Guide: 11,464 reviews and 26,731 photos

..."The place which an ex-President of Indonesia coined "That Little Red Dot". 75% Chinese, 14% Malay, 9% Indians and the remaining 2% spread among all other races. A collection of religions (Buddhism, Taoism, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Christianity, Catholicism etc), believes and customs co-exist on this little isle. A big melting pot united by a common neutral first language left behind by Singapore's ex-colonial master, England - English, a burning passion for good food & cuisines, a terrible fear of losing out to others aka "Kiasu-ism" and the insidious respect of "the big stick" - the government aka "Kiasee-ism". The national sports are eating & shopping. Yes, we should be gold medal contenders at the Olympics but alas...We invented our own language - "Singlish", much to the chagrin of the government and to the exasperation of the expats living here. All males serve 2 years of National Service. 75% of the population lives in public housing. We watch plenty of American TV, speak the Queen's English when we need to and yet in some ways remain Asian at heart (and more Asian as one gets older). And I am kidding, the most loved sport in Singapore is soccer. A city masquerading as a country, buzzing with the trappings of modern living. Material comforts we have. Nature? Not so much. The crashes of old & new and east & west are happening everyday, for better or worse. Distractors called it confused. I call it "MY HOME"...

________________________________
A quick stroll through history:

Pre-1819: Was known by a bevy of names: Temasek & Singapura among others. A small (thriving, some historian suspected) fishing outpost.
1819: Modern Singapore entered history. "Founded" by Sir Stamford Raffles on behalf of the British East India company. Purchase island from the Sultan of Johor.
Till 1942: British colony.
1942-1945: WW2. Annexed by the Japanese who renamed the island "Syonan-to".
1945-1959: British colony once again.
1959: Gained self-governance.
1963: Joined Malaya to form independent Malaysia.
1965: Booted out of Malaysia and independence forced upon.
________________________________

Walk off the beaten path and see my country from other angles.

For more photos, do access my personal website: IMPREXXUESSNISM

Drop me a comment if you think that this page has been useful. Thanks!

Please also feel free to browse through my brother DARKRAY's page on Singapore.

NOTE: This is my most heavy-going VT page. Guess living here tends to make you want to list everything down. I'm trying my best to condense the page to prevent a heavy-going burgeoning page. If you feel overwhelmed, just focus on the areas you are looking for. Cheers!

• Pros:A paradise of cuisines! Eating is the National sport.
  • Cons:A nation of Kiasu & Kiasee believers!
  • In a nutshell:There's more to Singapore than the (groan) Merlion and that "Fine City" Tag
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2009

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Hey mate, today I received yr giant postcard, as big as a durian I would say ;-) Thanks a lot!!! You´re already back from Myanmar?

• xuessium's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2009 at 11:33 PM

My reply to "Spinex": HI, fellow countryfolk! For a while there, I wasn't sure which tip you're referring to. To each his, or her own taste buds, but of course. Cheers!

• Nov 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

The original old shop is at 24 Foch Road. I think original shop soup taste better.

• alycat's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Terrific work on restro's...hope to use them on my Singa tour!

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 6:43 AM

Hi - Hotel advise me they are closing down on 31 October. Land takeover by the Government.

• Helenbb's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2008 at 2:09 AM

i made a mistake.. i should read yr pages here first... i totally 4got SG is your hometown la :) will back to read more .

• Apr 14, 2008 at 6:40 AM

One of the most beautiful cities in the world!

• Pinoy_Traveller's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Thanks a lot for the SIN accommodation info. Really appreciate it...

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2008 at 1:34 AM

must be a lot of fun to walk here.

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2008 at 5:22 PM

I'm coming back for three days to EAT (ok, visit people and see more sights too) & had to look at your foodie "cheat sheet," in the event I find myself alone in some food court, and just can't decide what I really want! and SUPERB page overall!

xuessium Visits Here Frequently!

xuessium

“Time Waits Not For The Person Who Waits For Time”

Badges & Stats in Singapore

• 1,270 Forum posts

Have you been to Singapore?

Latest Activity in Singapore