Dubai Favorite Tips by xuessium
Dubai Favorites: 166 reviews and 394 photos
Favorite thing: CURRENCY
UAE uses the UAE Dirham (AED) and it is a freely exchangeable currency.
The smaller denominations are in Fils.
UAE uses the 3-prong rectangular blade plug.
Voltage is 220V and current is 50 Hz.
Favorite thing: A number of countries do not require visa to enter the UAE. Most are from the western world, though I am pleased to inform that Singaporeans can enter the UAE for up to 60 days without a visa.
Countries not requiring visa: France, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Cyprus, Finland, Malta, Spain, Monaco, Vatican, Iceland, Andorra, San Marino, Liechtenstein, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong.
Fondest memory: Embassy of the UAE in Singapore:
600 North Bridge Road
Tel: 65 - 62388206
Fax 65 - 62380081
Favorite thing: The flag contains colours usually associated with the Islamic world. The flag consists of three equally sized horizontal stripes with a red vertical stripe on the left side of the flag. The horizontal stripes are from top to bottom, green, white and black.
It is believed to be based on the Arab Revolt Flag which was created in 1916, and flown by Arab nationalists during their liberation struggle against Ottoman (Turkish) rule. Red, white, black and green are called the pan-Arab colors and have been historically linked to the Arab people and Islamic faith for centuries. They stand for Arab unity and independence and can be seen in the flags of many countries in the region.
Fondest memory: The UAE was created when seven "Sheikdoms" (the rulers of the 7 entities are "Sheikhs", rather than "Emirs" despite the country's name) in the middle-east joined to form one country on 2 Dec 1971. They were formerly called "The Trucial States".
The 7 entities are: Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah & Umm al-Qaiwain.
Abu Dhabi is the biggest of the 7 "Emirates" and by default, its ruler is the President of the country. Dubai, rich from commercial wealth, holds the Prime Minister post. All the rulers rule the country through a ruler council.
Favorite thing: Members of the UAE may also fly their own flag.
The Dubai flag is easily spotted as it is commonly flown alongside the country's flag.
The flag's origin is probably based on Dubai's maritime past.
More Reviews (16)
xuessium's Related Pages
Dubai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not all that glitters is gold..."
- "Nothing is Too Impossible in Dubai"
- "DESERT ROSE MONOLOGUES - A DUBAI AFFAIR"
- "DUBAI - The Pearl of Arabia"
- "Developing Dubai"
- "Dubai - a city growing before your eyes!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubai
- Hotels in Dubai
- Transportation in Dubai
- Nightlife in Dubai
- Restaurants in Dubai
- Shopping in Dubai
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dubai
- 20 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Dubai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubai
Photos in DubaiSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 106 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 77 reviews, 135 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 55 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 34 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 37 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christmas Island Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
- Desert Safari- 53 Reviews, 160 Photos
- Burj Khalifa- 33 Reviews, 136 Photos
- Souqs- 54 Reviews, 110 Photos
- Burj Al Arab- 34 Reviews, 103 Photos
- Dubai Creek- 30 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Gold Souq- 17 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Dubai Museum- 39 Reviews, 111 Photos
- Jumeirah Beach Park- 21 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Shopping- 38 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Jumeirah Mosque- 20 Reviews, 50 Photos
See All Dubai Things to Do