Manila Things to Do Tips by xuessium
Manila Things to Do: 576 reviews and 1,238 photos
A legacy of the Spanish colonial days, built in 1571. This old fort has now been transformed to a place of restaurants and souvenir, art & crafts shops. Still, there is no taking away the charm of the place. The outerwalls are still intact, with mould and lichen growing in abundance on them, turning them emerald green. In it, a ride on ornate horse carriages allows you to fall back in time, as long as you don't mind spending the money. Explore old dungeons (at Fort Santiago) and visit 2 of Manila's oldest churches - the San Agustin Church and the Manila Cathedral.
Address: Roxas Blvd., Manila
Directions: Take the LRT to United Nations Station and then take a stroll of 20-25 minutes to the gates.
Extracted from the website below:
..."Considered as one of the largest parks in Southeast Asia, it has an area of 58 hectares which runs from Taft Avenue up to the walls of the famous Manila Bay. It was known as the Bagumbayan field during the Spanish era since this was where the Filipino-Moslems took refuge after the Spaniards occupied Intramuros in 1571. It was also called "Luneta," which means Little Moon. For 74 years, it was used as an executing ground by the Spaniards for Filipino rebels and mutineers. By 1902, Daniel Bumham, architect and city planner, chose Bagumbayan as the site of the proposed American government center. He designed a U-shaped composition of buildings, but only three were constructed: the Executive House, the Department of Tourism building, and the Department of Finance building. It acquired its present name Rizal National Park in dedication to the Philippine national hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal, whose mortal remains were interred in the cornershore of the Rizal Monument in 1912"...
Come in the morning and see folks exercising, in the afternoon to see folks sneaking a rest from the rat race and at night to see the laser show!
Directions: Take the LRT to United Nations station and take a stroll of 20-25 minutes.
The Carabao mangoes are to die for in the Philippines. When fully ripened, the aroma is alluring and the taste juicy, sweet and succulent. It is in a class of its own. If you could not get the real thing, the dried version is just as tasty and great as an edible souvenir of the Philippines to bring home.
In season: June-July
This is along the way towards Rizal Park & Intramuros if you walk. There is this whole avenue dedicated to all the members of the UN. See flags fluttering in groups (in no particular order) in the wind as you take a stroll through the neighbourhood. Hunt for your nation's flag!
Directions: Exit United Nations LRT
More Reviews (19)
- See All Introduction to Malls: The Podium @...
- See All Airport Tax
- See All Colourful Jeepneys
- See All Asking for tips in the airport toilet
xuessium's Related Pages
Manila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mabuhay, Welcome to Manila!"
- "Capital of the Philippines"
- "Aliwan Fiesta 2011: Ilonggo's Pride and Victory"
- "Love It Or Leave It..."
- "Capital City of the Philippines"
- "IMPREXXION: MANILA"
- "What can you say about a town like Manila?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manila
- Hotels in Manila
- Transportation in Manila
- Nightlife in Manila
- Restaurants in Manila
- Shopping in Manila
- Warnings and Dangers in Manila
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manila
- 23 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Manila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manila
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 106 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 77 reviews, 135 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 55 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 34 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 37 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christmas Island Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
- Intramuros- 119 Reviews, 232 Photos
- Manila Bay- 65 Reviews, 168 Photos
- Luneta- 49 Reviews, 98 Photos
- Chinatown- 14 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Malls- 35 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Malate- 25 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Makati- 27 Reviews, 37 Photos
- City Scene- 25 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Paco Park- 6 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Manila American Cemetery- 10 Reviews, 22 Photos