Luang Prabang Shopping Tips by xuessium Top 5 Page for this destination
Luang Prabang Shopping: 44 reviews and 58 photos
You can't miss the Hmong Market - a whole square of stalls selling colourful but almost identical items.
There are some snack and drink stalls on the fringes but wander inside you'll find a labyrinth of stalls selling local arts and crafts, some costume jewelries, bags, blankets, T-shirts and while exciting at first sight, will grow a little haggard after a couple rounds of exploring.
Still, if you are hunting for the weaved bag you must absolutely own....well, this is ground zero.
(Note: Thankfully, there aren't a lot of cheap fake branded goods around)
Aside from the Hmong Market, folks can also make your way along Sisavang Vong Road to the 2 streets near the Luang Prabang Museum for more night markets. They close the streets in the evening and stalls simply occupied the space. Nothing extraordinary here as they sell the same items as in the Hmong Market. For folks who loves bright lights and weaving through flea markets though, you'll be pleased to know that the further second street has an offshoot, with stalls stretching all the way to where Coleur Cafe is. I must warn you though: After a few minutes, you'll realised that you're essentially looking at the same things with every step you take.
However, the flea markets make for wonderful walks at night and the colourful cheery goods and wares made for great photography.
NOTE: Most of the stalls will start to pack up at 10pm and by 12 midnight, the vendors will be on their merry way home.
What to buy: Hmong weaves (shirts, bags, sling pouches for water bottles, coasters, handphone punches, coin pouches, blankets and bedsheets), mulberry paper lamps, waxed paper umbrellas, paintings, sculptures, and the standard "you've been to Laos" Beer Lao T-shirts etc.
What to pay: Bargain. It's easier to bargain when you hit the stall just when they are closing.
Directions: Hmong Market: At the intersection of Sisavang Vong Road and Setthathilat Road where you'll see both the Ancient Luang Prabang Hotel and the Post Office. Go towards the lights.
Every SE Asian country has at least 1 beer. In Laos, it's Beer Lao. Reviews about this beer seems to be rather positive.
Lao Brewery was established in 1971 and began its production in 1973. Following political change in Laos in 1975, the Lao government bought back all the overseas shares it become a state enterprise under the Ministry of Industry and Handicrafts called Lao Brewery Co. Ltd. (LBC). After 2002, Carlsberg Asia, and TCC, a Thai company who is Carlsberg's partner in Thailand, each agreed to acquire a 25% stake in LBC. The remaining shares are still held by the government of Laos.
A can of Beer Lao costs 7000 Kips from a grocery shop (circa Nov 07).
Made from glutinous rice, Lao-Lao is a rice whisky brewed in Laos. Along with Beer Lao, Lao-Lao is a staple beverage for both tourists and natives of Laos. Contrary to popular belief, the name Lao-Lao is not the same word repeated twice, but actually two different words pronounced with different tones, the first meaning "alcohol" and the second meaning "Lao" (as in the Lao people).
Aside from rice whisky, one can usually also get rice wine....either in the clear form or in the clear red form (made from dark glutinous rice).
You can get them easily by visiting the infamous "Whisky Village" near Pak Ou Caves.
A small bottle of the rice wine is about US$2 (circa Nov 07).
Directions: Check out "Whisky Village" for the Lao-Lao and Rice wines.
Theme: Food and Drink
More Reviews (35)
- See All Moving around town: Walk or Tuk Tuk
- See All Rough and Tumble my way through (2): Tad...
- See All Wonderful for its price
- See All A little French in Laos
xuessium's Related Pages
Luang Prabang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It Really is the Jewel of the Jewel of SE Asia"
- "Luang Prabang: The Cheeky Monk"
- "A rare jewel in the Mekong Jungles"
- "World Heritage wonderland."
- "IMPREXXION: LUANG PRABANG"
- "Luang Prabang ~ Charming Town By the Mekong River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luang Prabang
- Hotels in Luang Prabang
- Transportation in Luang Prabang
- Nightlife in Luang Prabang
- Restaurants in Luang Prabang
- Shopping in Luang Prabang
- Warnings and Dangers in Luang Prabang
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lakefield Hotels
- Yellow Creek State Park Hotels
- Torrevieja Hotels
- Vilshofen Hotels
- New Buffalo
Badges & Stats in Luang Prabang
- 37 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Luang Prabang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luang Prabang
- Posted in Travel Sanya Forum "Re: Sanya"
- Commented on one of tremendopunto's Luang Prabang travel pages
- updated a Luang Prabang Travel Page "IMPREXXION: LUANG PRABANG"
- Wrote a Review Moving around town: Walk or Tuk Tuk in Luang Prabang Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Moving around town: Walk or Tuk Tuk"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 106 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 77 reviews, 135 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 55 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 34 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 37 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christmas Island Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Latest Luang Prabang hotel reviews
- Villa Phathana
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 17, 2013
- Lao Spirit Resort Luang Prabang
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2013
- The Apsara
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Les 3 Nagas
- 175 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Rama Hotel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 17, 2013
- L'hotel Souvannaphoum
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Luang Prabang Bakery Guesthouse
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- Sala Prabang
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2012
- Villa Merry Lao-Swiss
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2012
- Phousi Hotel Luang Prabang
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 22, 2012
- Mano Guest House
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2012
- Muang Luang Luang Prabang
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2012
- Luang Prabang River Lodge
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 26, 2013
- Le Parasol Blanc
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2011