"Lepotica na zrnu peska" Top 5 Page for this destination Subotica by viddra
Subotica Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 158 photos
Subotica is the northernmost city in Serbia and the 2nd largest in Vojvodina. It's situated 10 km away from the border with Hungary, and lies in the heart of the Pannonian plain, at the bottom of the Pannonian Sea.
To the north of the city, there's a sandy steppe with fruitful orchards and vineyards, whereas to the south there are fields of wheat and corn.
As a settlement, Subotica was 1st mentioned in the 14th century. Since then, it's been ruled by many, and changed its name more than 200 times. Its 1st name, Zabadka, was 1st mentioned in 1391. The city got its present name in 1653, after Subota Vrlic, the duke of Tsar Jovan Nenad.
Tsar Jovan Nenad is 1 of the most important people in the history of Subotica. He pushed away the Turks and in 1527 founded his own independent state with Subotica as its capital.
Subotica was proclaimed a Free Royal Town by Maria Theresa of Austria in 1779.
This Gaudi - like building, one of the most beautiful ones in Subotica, used to be the private home of Ferenz Reichl. It... more travel advice
viddra's Related Pages
Subotica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The most colourful town in Serbia"
- "Boiling Point: 100F in Szobotka"
- "Lepotica na zrnu peska"
- "Szabadka (Subotica in Hungarian)"
- "Subotica and Palic lake"
- "On the way to Hungary"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Subotica
- Hotels in Subotica
- Transportation in Subotica
- Nightlife in Subotica
- Restaurants in Subotica
- Warnings and Dangers in Subotica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Subotica
- 10 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Subotica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Subotica
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 59 reviews, 184 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 62 reviews, 148 photos
- Vienna Intro, 49 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 48 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 42 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 57 reviews, 98 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Novi Sad Intro, 38 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 28 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sofia Intro, 34 reviews, 86 photos
- Kikinda Intro, 40 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues