"Home of the Russian Air Force" Monino by el_ruso
Monino Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 34 photos
This is an amazing museum - exciting to a casual visitor and even more so for an aficionado of aviation. It houses virtually every airplane built in Russia and Soviet Union, even one-of-a-kind and experimental craft.
If you are not a Russian citizen, access is somewhat difficult.
You will need to fax your passport/ visa info to colonel Goncharov a couple of days in advance of your visit and give the anticipated day of your visit. *You also must give the Make and License Plate # of the vehicle in which you are planning to arrive.* Further, you MUST be accompanied by a Russian citizen to gain access. Fax # is 095-747-3928.
The museum is next to the air force base, which is why the heightened security. You enter through the gate of the air base town, present your documents to the lieutenant-colonel in the gatehouse, and he will give you a pass which you must give to the guards when you are leaving. Also get the detailed directions, because there are no signs to the museum.
Then when you arrive to the museum, you must enter a small wooden building where you buy ticket and can hire a guide. Entry for two people plus guide cost 700R.
Take Shosse Entuziastov east out of Moscow. After you pass Kupavna, about 30 km outside of the city boundary, the first light will be "Moninskiy povorot", turn left, then turn left again before the RR bridge, and some distance further you will see the main entrance into the air base on your left.
- Pros:amazing, one-of-a-kind collection
- Cons:difficult access
- In a nutshell:a must see if you are interested in Soviet history
Il 2 and Il 10 were the mass-produced armored ground attack aircraft that were the scourge of the German army. They... more travel advice
LaGG was the most common Soviet fighter of WW II, used since 1941. It was the mainstay during defense of Moscow. more travel advice
el_ruso's Related Pages
Monino Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Monino
- 20 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Monino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monino
Photos in MoninoSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 103 reviews, 127 photos
- Prague Intro, 73 reviews, 156 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 59 reviews, 115 photos
- Houston Intro, 64 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 43 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bogotá Intro, 32 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 40 reviews, 88 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 31 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 40 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.