"A MUST see if you are in Portugal!" Top 5 Page for this destination Évora by el_ruso
Évora Travel Guide: 394 reviews and 1,380 photos
Portugal is a very small country (especially for someone raised in the Soviet Union ;), but it is remarkably interesting and varied from place to place. Southern part of the country, between the longitude of Lisbon and the Algarve coast is called Alentejo. It looks kinda like Texas with more greenery and even better roads. And Evora is the biggest town here.
It is about 1.5-2 (at most) hours by car from Lisbon on a road which is as smooth as baby skin. You should see it, both for the wonderful atmosphere of the region, as well as for its astonishing (yet virtually unknown) archeological sites. You shouldn't miss the local cousine either - try the veal dishes.
The city is typical for the region, which is a good thing. There is a picturesque medieval wall all surrounding the old quarter, houses built inside the arches of the ancient acueduct, marble fountains on the town squares, plenty of buttressed churches. And of course the whitewashed townhouses and the crooked alleys of the city's center. The city is clean and well-maintained, and the turismo office on the central Praca do Giraldo will provide you with detailed maps and guides.
Parking can be done in the underground garage near the theater. It will coast you less than E5 for half a day.
- Pros:One of the most ancient human monuments on earth
- Cons:Have you heard about it?
- In a nutshell:What a pleasant surprise! Do NOT miss Evora!
I recommend renting from Europcar. It takes less than two hours to reach Evora from Lisbon (and you will have the... more travel advice
The city has a large theater and a large square in front of it. Underneath there is a convenient public parking. more travel advice
el_ruso's Related Pages
Évora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Liberalitas Julia vs Yeborah"
- "a great excursion from Lisbon"
- "Evora - A UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "A MUST see if you are in Portugal!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Évora
- Hotels in Évora
- Transportation in Évora
- Nightlife in Évora
- Restaurants in Évora
- Shopping in Évora
- Warnings and Dangers in Évora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Évora
- 21 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Évora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Évora
Photos in ÉvoraSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 103 reviews, 127 photos
- Prague Intro, 73 reviews, 156 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 59 reviews, 115 photos
- Houston Intro, 64 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 43 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bogotá Intro, 32 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 40 reviews, 88 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 31 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 40 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.