"A Portuguese Versailles" Queluz by el_ruso
Queluz Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 164 photos
The royal palace of Queluz was built at the end of the XVIII century following the fad of that era to build country palaces: Versailles in France, Petrodvorets in Russia, etc. However, despite its obvious elegance it doesn't come close, and instead shows that by that time the period of prestige and wealth enjoyed by Portugal had long since passed.
Nevertheless it is a worthwhile excursion, particularly as it is located conveniently on the Sintra train line.
- Pros:architectural elegance
- Cons:not as impressive as more famous European analogues
- In a nutshell:a worthwhile stop on your trip to Sintra
I am not sure what is located in this building, but it appears to belong to the army. It is located right across from... more travel advice
Throne Room is one of the most impressive rooms of the palace, even though the original floor has not sirvived. Most of... more travel advice
el_ruso's Related Pages
Queluz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An ancient suburb"
- "So much to see in one small place..did I say SMALL"
- "Tiles in the corridor of the Sleeves"
- "A Portuguese Versailles"
- "Versailles in the Pink"
- "Queluz Palace (Queluz/Sintra)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Queluz
- Hotels in Queluz
- Transportation in Queluz
- Restaurants in Queluz
- Warnings and Dangers in Queluz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Queluz
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Queluz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Queluz
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 103 reviews, 127 photos
- Prague Intro, 73 reviews, 156 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 59 reviews, 115 photos
- Houston Intro, 64 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 43 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bogotá Intro, 32 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 40 reviews, 88 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 31 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 40 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.