"The Fairy Tale Called Sintra" Sintra by el_ruso
Sintra Travel Guide: 534 reviews and 2,143 photos
Sintra is located about half-an-hour by train from Lisbon close to the Atlantic coastline in the beautiful mountains. You will enjoy the fresh mountain air, as well as a welcome respite from crowds of Lisbon. The place also offers sights that will impress even the most experienced traveler, as well as beautiful vistas extending all the way to Cabo da Roca in the West to Lisbon's center to the East.
The main draws here are the medieval royal palace in the center of the town, the Moorish castle which predates it, as well as a whimsical royal palace built in the XIX century, Palacio de Pena. You will also enjoy the picturesque streets of the old city and the architecture of many villas that are perched on the mountain slopes.
This place is located close to Lisbon, about 30-45 min by train, depending on where you start. Once there, the National Palace and the town's center are located close enough, but you will need a bus or a taxi to get to the mountain top where the castle and the Palacio de Pena are located; otherwise, it is a long and arduous walk up the steep road.
- Pros:fairy tale atmosphere, impressive sights
- In a nutshell:a must if you visit Lisbon
As you leave the palace, do not miss the walk through the beautiful palace park, more a forest, complete with lakes with... more travel advice
This mock-Moorish fountain, which was actually constructed in the beginning of last century, is a prelude to the Palacio... more travel advice
el_ruso's Related Pages
Sintra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freshness near Lisbon"
- "The Pinnacle of Portugal !"
- "Keeweechic's Sintra"
- "Magic Town"
- "Sintra, Portugal"
- "THE NOBLE TOWN OF SINTRA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sintra
- Hotels in Sintra
- Transportation in Sintra
- Nightlife in Sintra
- Restaurants in Sintra
- Shopping in Sintra
- Warnings and Dangers in Sintra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sintra
- 10 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Sintra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sintra
Photos in SintraSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 103 reviews, 127 photos
- Prague Intro, 73 reviews, 156 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 59 reviews, 115 photos
- Houston Intro, 64 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 43 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bogotá Intro, 32 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 40 reviews, 88 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 31 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 40 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.
Latest Sintra hotel reviews
- Penha Longa Hotel & Golf Resort
- 344 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Quinta de Sao Thiago
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013
- Hotel Tivoli Palacio de Seteais
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Quinta da Capela
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2009
- Tivoli Sintra
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Pestana Sintra Golf Resort and Spa Hotel
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Quinta das Sequoias
- 1 Review & Opinion