"The city of red brick and green mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Medellín by el_ruso
Medellín Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 102 photos
First, an important note. The city is located in departamento de Antioquia, not Magdalena. I have no idea why it was placed here.
Medellin is a very nice city, instantly likeable and enjoyable, even though it lacks major sights or preserved history. It is clean, has well-developed and maintained infrastructure, friendly and hospitable people.
The city is located in a valley in the Andes, as most other cities in South America. Its altitude is ideal in that it is neither cold nor hot - about 27C every day of the year. Locals take advantage of that by building a lot of pleasant parks and open air cafes.
The locals are, as they describe themselves, 'regionalistas' - they are very proud of their city. The people from Medellin are called Paisas. The most famous person from here is Fernando Botero, the artist famous for making statues of fat people and animals; incidentally, he does not look so himself. Visiting his museum and the plaza in the front is a must for visitors. Other interesting sight is Cerro Nutibara with a Pueblito Paisa on top, a recreated Paisa village square. You should also visit one of the parks, the best ones are Lleras and Parque de Pies Descalzos.
- Pros:clean, organized, Botero art, and #1 reason - divinely beautiful women
- Cons:lack of major sights, may seem to 'modern'
- In a nutshell:showcase of potential and accomplishments of Colombia
This is a decent hotel located in a nice Laureles barrio, close to the downtown and the Bolivariana university, yet in a... more travel advice
The plane across the river from the center is where the easily likeable barrios of Laureles and San Joaquin are located.... more travel advice
el_ruso's Related Pages
Medellín Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The city of red brick and green mountains"
- "Medellin - the city of the eternal spring"
- "No hay carteles aqui"
- "cochinjew's new Medellin Page"
- "Anadayur's new Medellin Page"
- "Luisgui's new Medellin Page"
- "hanspeter_W.'s new Medellin Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Medellín
- Hotels in Medellín
- Transportation in Medellín
- Nightlife in Medellín
- Restaurants in Medellín
- Shopping in Medellín
- Warnings and Dangers in Medellín
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Medellín
- 28 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Medellín?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Medellín
Photos in MedellínSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 103 reviews, 127 photos
- Prague Intro, 73 reviews, 156 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 59 reviews, 115 photos
- Houston Intro, 64 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 42 reviews, 95 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 43 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bogotá Intro, 32 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 40 reviews, 88 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 31 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 40 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.