"Nantwich" Nantwich by grimbolero
Nantwich Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 4 photos
This town in the south of the county of Cheshire in North West England is an interesting refelection of two thousand years of small town industry. From Roman times (the first four centuries A.D.), the town was at the centre of salt mining. The name of the town means (approximately) "famous salt town".
Despite being burnt down by the Normans in the 11th century, in a great fire in the 16th century and during the civil war in the 17th century, Nantwich still has a fair collection of historic half-timbered buildings typical of mediaval and jacobean England.
The salt industry moved away in the 19th century, and Nantwich has survived as a market town and centre for the productive agriculture of the Cheshire plains.
Nantwich is an interesting place to visit. It is not such a tourist attraction as nearby Chester, and not nearly as big, but it has its own charm resulting from the mediaeval streets and half-timbered buildings. Many of the streets and the square are pedestrianised, and on sunny weekends the streets are lively with shoppers, visitors and musicians.
St Mary's Church is one of the finest mediaeval churches remaining in England, having survived the numerous fires. It sits at the focal point of the town.
At Easter each year the town hosts the Nantwich Jazz and Blues Festival, which attracts artists from around the world.
- Pros:Historic charm and small town architecture
- Cons:Some 11960's developments don't fit in.
- In a nutshell:Interesting historic old town with its own charm
grimbolero's Related Pages
Nantwich Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Nantwich
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Nantwich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nantwich
Top 10 Pages
- Auch Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Michelstadt Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limone sul Garda Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Castres Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- San Quirico d'Orcia Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Catania Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ayamonte Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Bagni San Filippo Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Tenno 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Doolin Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.