"Ayamonte in Winter" Ayamonte by grimbolero
Ayamonte Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 61 photos
We stayed in a holiday flat in Isla Canela, an estuary island of the Guadiana, connected by a small bridge to Ayamonte. The island is being developed as a holiday centre - a new Costa, much like the nearby Isla Christina along the coast. But when we were there the development was limited, with new hotels being built - and all of them were empty (except one). The marketing seems targetted at German travellers.
Ayamonte itself is a nice little Spanish town - very Spanish, we found as there was no-one to speak English. This was great fun, but as I can only count to 4 in Spanish, ordering food was tricky!
The developments at Isla Canela are in 3 areas - firstly by the bridge near Ayamonte where there is a Golf complex, then due south on the coast is an older collection of houses, apartments, hotels and restaurants, and finally on the eastern tip where on the creek opposite the fishing village.
This last area is where we stayed, and where most new development is taking place. There is a marina, large apartment buildings and hotels. All but one - the RIU Atlantica - were closed in winter.
The south coast of the Isla is a huge wide sandy beach bordered by sandy dunes and then a promenade, all kept in pristine condition.
- Pros:Ayamonte is a pretty town with real character
- Cons:Very little English spoken - learn Spanish
The far south of Spain can be warm in January. The temperature reached 25C in mid-January, despite Ayamonte being on the... more travel advice
grimbolero's Related Pages
Ayamonte Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ayamonte in Winter"
- "Ayamonte - a small cosy border town in Spain"
- "Welcome to AYAMONTE"
- "AYAMONTE, MARCH 2002"
- "I actually went to Seville but it wasnt found"
- "Rossy AYAMONTE"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ayamonte
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ayamonte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayamonte
Photos in AyamonteSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Auch Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Michelstadt Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limone sul Garda Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Castres Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- San Quirico d'Orcia Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Catania Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ayamonte Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Tenno 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Bagni San Filippo Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Doolin Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.