"Certaldo - Two towns for the price of one" Certaldo by grimbolero
Certaldo Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 28 photos
If you can't find space to breathe in San Gimignano, as the coach-loads descend every day, head north to Certaldo - a hill town in minature with its own charm.
Below the old town, a substantial, living, new(er) town has grown up. While not pretty in itself, it is the gateway to the upper town.
If you are travelling independently, park in the lower town and head for the main piazza. On one side of the square, a couple of small doors in the buildings hide the entrance to the funicular, and a couple of euros will get you a return ticket (where to? back here of course!)
The upper town is compact and quiet - at least in May, while its neighbour, San Gimignano, which can be seen from the ramparts, is heaving. The place reminds me more of Carcassonne in France than its closer relative, with narrower streets, fewer towers, and less tourist shops - in fact almost none.
- Pros:Lovely hill-top town, not over-crowded
- Cons:Off the beaten track
- In a nutshell:Hire a car, go there
grimbolero's Related Pages
Certaldo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Undiscovered by Tourists, worth a visit"
- "Certaldo - Two towns for the price of one"
- "C E R T A L D O"
- "Great View...day or night"
- "CERTALDO - UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!"
- "certaldo, off the beaten path, not far from Siena"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Certaldo
- Hotels in Certaldo
- Restaurants in Certaldo
- Shopping in Certaldo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Certaldo
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Certaldo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Certaldo
Photos in CertaldoSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Auch Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Michelstadt Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limone sul Garda Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- San Quirico d'Orcia Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Castres Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Catania Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ayamonte Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Tenno 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Bagni San Filippo Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Doolin Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.