"I was not expecting this" Enna by grimbolero
Enna Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 40 photos
The A19 autostrada from Palermo to Catania perches on stilts through the high parched valleys of central Sicily. As you try to pass a Fiat Panda with its left indicator permanantly on, the haze ahead solidifies into two improbable hills, each with a town on top.
To the right is Enna, a respectable city crowning the 1000m cliffs. We decided to drive up there...
There are a number of ways to reach Enna. I, as I unwaveringly do, chose the hardest. The picture shows where the road curves out over nothing as it climbs the wooded cliffs.
Once you get to the city there is little parking space, so stop on the up-slope where the other cars are.
From the Lombard Castle at the top, you can wind down the narrow streets through the old city. It appears to be unchanged much from the 15th century, with modern supermarkets embedded in ancient buildings, and huge old gates hiding colleges full of boisterous teenagers.
Wander to the edge of the narrow town and you get incredible vistas accross central Sicily. You are so high up that it is a wonder that any town could be built up here, let alone a city.
This is not a tourist town, but the locals will try to make you feel welcome. We were even given free chocolate pastries - a local delicacy - in the bakery.
- Pros:Spectacular, Vibrant, Proud, Unspoilt
- Cons:Few tourist facilities
- In a nutshell:A Sicilian town for Sicilians and adventurous visitors
grimbolero's Related Pages
Enna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ENNA .....the old Castrogiovanni"
- "City on a hill"
- "Mountain town Enna"
- "schmoozed.... by a cabbie in enna ?"
- "I was not expecting this"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Enna
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Enna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Enna
Top 10 Pages
- Auch Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Michelstadt Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limone sul Garda Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Castres Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- San Quirico d'Orcia Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Catania Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ayamonte Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Tenno 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Bagni San Filippo Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Doolin Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.