"San Quirico D'Orcia" San Quirico d'Orcia by grimbolero
San Quirico d'Orcia Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 19 photos
The existance of this small town is largely due to the pilgrims route from Northern Europe to Rome, known as the Via Francigena. The mediaeval town centre is built along the road, with a few smaller streets, enclosed in the old town wall.
The town is very picturesque, but modest, without the grandeur (admittedly on a small scale) of nearby Pienza to the east, or the drama of Montalcino to the West. As a result, the tourists are not as thick on the ground (or between the ears) and the shops, unobtrusively embedded into the old buildings, cater more for locals.
The mediaeval part of the town is enclosed by these walls, and for some reason, a reconstructed ballista sat just outside the west gate.
The old town is car-free except for the occasional, inevitable, Piaggio making deliveries. Local shopkeepers gather in the cafes during siesta, but otherwise the town is relatively quiet.
There are 3 churches along the main street, starting with the Collegiata at the Northern gate, past the San Francesco half way down in the small piazza, and finally, and by a long way the most modest, the church of Santa Maria Assumta at the southern end.
The simplicity of this little chapel, with signs of an active worshipping community, is somehow more encouraging than its more frozen but genuinely beautiful and historic companions. Next to the chapel is a little rose garden, again simple and peaceful, and unexpected.
- Pros:Historic small hill town, largely undiscovered
This little wine cellar in the centre of San Quirico D'Orcia sells its own produce, with tasting always available. This... more travel advice
grimbolero's Related Pages
San Quirico d'Orcia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Quirico D'Orcia"
- "Sao quirico D' Orcia"
- "SAN QUIRICO D'ORCIA"
- "San Quirico d'Orcia, The hidden Jewell"
- "I was there....."
- "San Quirico d'Orcia, Val d'Orcia"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Quirico d'Orcia
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to San Quirico d'Orcia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Quirico d'Orcia
Photos in San Quirico d'OrciaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Auch Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Michelstadt Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limone sul Garda Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Castres Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- San Quirico d'Orcia Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Catania Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ayamonte Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Bagni San Filippo Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Tenno 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Doolin Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.