"Auch - Culture, Pride and Rugby" Auch by grimbolero
Auch Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 80 photos
We arrived in Auch on a Saturday afternoon, not knowing anything about the place. We checked into the simple hotel Lion D'Or, where the landlord gave us a great welcome. He did not speak English, and we could not understand his French, but we managed to have a conversation full of arm gestures and sound effects, ending in laughter all round.
Auch Rugby team play in the top division some years and the second division others, and are not rated as one of France's top teams. However, they have a fanatical following, which, when playing Sale Sharks from England in their smart municipal stadium, gave the four English fans a torrid time. Even when they had won the game.
However, Monsieur Le President invited us to the post-match dinner. Fantastic red wine, the creme of Fois Gras, and the presentation to the match referee of a bust of D'Artangion. Excellent.
The day following the match we ventured out to explore the town. We had seen the cathedral on the hill across the river Gers the previous night, but we were pleasantly suprised by the historic architecture of the old town on the hill.
The square in front of the spectacular cathedral is the starting point of numerous small alleys with interesting shops and bars. The square itself is surrounded by grand architecture, and its cafes are a great place to stop and take the view.
- Pros:A suprising and spectacular town with plenty to see, eat and drink
- Cons:Don't expect a warm welcome from the rugby fans
The narrow streets of the old town are full of interesting and delightful shops, restaurants and bars. The main produce... more travel advice
The square is the focal point of Auch, and around 3 sides are grouped the main municipal and historic buildings along... more travel advice
grimbolero's Related Pages
Auch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Auch - Culture, Pride and Rugby"
- "The Cathedral Is At the Summit of Auch's Hill"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auch
- Hotels in Auch
- Transportation in Auch
- Restaurants in Auch
- Shopping in Auch
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Auch
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Auch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auch
Photos in AuchSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Auch Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Michelstadt Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limone sul Garda Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Castres Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- San Quirico d'Orcia Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Catania Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ayamonte Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Tenno 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Bagni San Filippo Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Doolin Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.