"Great Barrier Island" Great Barrier Island by cnango
Great Barrier Island Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 50 photos
Great Barrier Island is only 30 minutes (by air) away from Auckland but it is a world apart ! GBI is the 4th largest island in NZ, about the size of Maui with only 600 residents. Over 60% of the island is a wildlife and native plant preserve which is completely protected and therefore home to many rare and endangered NZ species. The island has no telephone poles or reticulated electricity. The residence all use self-composting toilets & collected water.For power they use wind, solar, hydro or in the home where I stayed lots of big batteries. shocked when my Kiwi hosts opened a closet and showed the batteries than ran everything from lighting, appliances and computers.
Great Barrier Island has an abundance of beautiful bays and harbours to explore by boat . You can take a charter tour,... more travel advice
There is no reticulated water on Great Barrier Island. Bottled water is available at many shops, but that can be costly.... more travel advice
cnango's Related Pages
Great Barrier Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Beautiful Barrier!"
- "Great Barrier Island"
- "Yachties Paradise"
- "Great Barrier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Great Barrier Island
- Hotels in Great Barrier Island
- Nightlife in Great Barrier Island
- Restaurants in Great Barrier Island
- Shopping in Great Barrier Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Great Barrier Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Great Barrier Island
- 8 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Great Barrier Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Barrier Island
- updated a Great Barrier Island Travel Page "Great Barrier Island"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Go ahead New Zeland!!!!"
- Wrote a Review Explore Great Barrier Island by Boat in Great Barrier Island Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Explore Great Barrier Island by Boat"
- Commented on one of allikat's Great Barrier Island travel pages
Photos in Great Barrier IslandSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Airlie Beach Intro, 1 review, 16777215 photos
- Paris Intro, 16777215 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abel Tasman National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nelson Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laguna Beach Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos
- Queenstown Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eureka Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos
- Santa Barbara Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos