"FOOTSCRAY" Footscray by aussiejen

Footscray Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 14 photos

Footscray, a suburb not far from the heart of Melbourne, has long been an area for migrants new to Australia.
In previous years the population was predominantly Italian, but recently seems to be mainly Asian, although there is now a large contingent of Africans.

Unique African handicraft stores and restaurants are springing up alongside the Vietnamese shops and restaurants.

This is a wonderful area to visit and feel as if you have left Australia.
Most of the Vietnamese restaurants are located along Barkly St. It's hard to choose which one to eat at, but we have a favourite called "HUY HUY".

The Footscray Market is also worth a visit. Here you will find fresh fruit and vegetables, along with fresh fish and meat and various other shops.

Don't forget to check out "Little Saigon" (see my tips) for even better prices and variety.

• Pros:Great Vietnamese food.
  • Last visit to Footscray: Jan 2006
  • Intro Written Jan 18, 2006

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 1:17 AM

We lived in Footscray many years ago - an Italian influence in those days, and we found it so cosmopolitan! Sounds as if it's still evolving and as interesting as ever.

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2006 at 9:58 PM

Interesting that U have a LIttle Saigon in Oz. I remember the old Magnum PI shows w/ Tom going 2 Little Saigon in Hawaii. We also had 1 in Westminster California, where I lived for 8yrs. The French bread & fresh fish were gr8.UR fruit was new 2 me tho.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2006 at 5:32 PM

Jenny, a very nice page on the Asian delicacies available in Footscray! I've only tried Vietnamese food once (in Montreal), but it was so good I've been looking for it ever since!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2006 at 2:11 AM

Did you go with Jane Fonda?

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2006 at 3:37 AM

Great tips on shopping. This looks like a fun place to look around. Dragon fruit is one I have never seen before.

aussiejen

“life is an adventure to be lived, not a problem to be solved”

Badges & Stats in Footscray

Have you been to Footscray?

Latest Activity in Footscray