"Land of the Thunder Dragon" Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan by ziger
Bhutan Travel Guide: 233 reviews and 898 photos
I was fortunate to travel several times to this hidden country in the Himalayas. For tourist Bhutan is kept an exclusive place. Only around 10'000 tourists come there each year. A full service package (lodging, guide, transport) costs around 200 USD per day. May seem a lot, but it is worth it.
It is not possible to travel through the country alone as a tourist. Usually with a group of tourist there is a guide and a driver or horseman on a trekking.
The very friendly people, the rich Buddhist heritage, a special flora and fauna and the marvelous mountains for trekking make it an exceptional place for travelers seeking for a special place.
I have travelled the country for almost 15 years now and it is amazing what developement the country has made. Meanwhile Bhutan has a digital telphone net with internet access and mobile telephones.
In the eyes of a Westener looking for a remote paradise not everything has turned out positive (e.g. new settlements that are not built as carefully as the old houses, traffic in the capital).
An interesting source of information is Bhutan's only (weekly) newspaper with its links www.kuenselonline.com.
For a map of Bhutan see http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshells/indian_subcontinent/bhutan/bhutan.htm or use google earth.
A special and very colourful time to visit the country is during the religious festivals - the so called Tsechu s. Coming from Europe to find a country so profoundly religious, gives an idea how life used to be in Europe a century ago.
- Pros:Friendly people, rich Buddhist heritage, nature, trekking off the beaten paths
- Cons:none, except not suited for low budget travelling
- In a nutshell:A country jumping from the past into the future
Slow down and take your time and feel the different beat of life. more travel advice
Bhutan is a Buddhist country. If possible try to attend a religious festivals (Tsechu) for one day. You will see Bhutan... more travel advice
ziger's Related Pages
Bhutan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Falling in love with a country"
- "BHUTAN - the last true illusion of the Himalaya"
- "Land of the Thunder Dragon"
- "Into the Last Himalayan Buddhist Kingdom"
- "Another world"
- "A TRIP TO SHANGRI-LA*** BHUTAN, THE DRAGON KINGDOM"
- "Bhutan Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bhutan
- Hotels in Bhutan
- Transportation in Bhutan
- Nightlife in Bhutan
- Restaurants in Bhutan
- Shopping in Bhutan
- Warnings and Dangers in Bhutan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bhutan
- 10 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Bhutan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bhutan
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bhutan Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos
- Vladivostok 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Boracay Island Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Woolacombe 1 review, 3 photos
- Chambolle-Musigny 1 review, 3 photos
No friends yet.