"Antofagasta...home sweet home" Top 5 Page for this destination Antofagasta by patricia28
Antofagasta Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 75 photos
Antofagasta is a nice city in the north of Chile, is the capital of this region, and this is an important city due of the mining industry. I was born in this place so I have to say that Antofagasta has change a lot in this last time. We have a few great beaches like Hornitos (close to the city) and we also have a nice weather all year long, here never rains and the coldest winters are with cloudy days and 12°C. It is nice to spend some days here to visit the city and "La portada" a national monument very beautiful.
Antofagasta means in Quechua language "Big salar's town ".
The origin of the city owes to the industries of minerals. The first inhabitant was the miner "Juan Lopez" who lived in the bay of Antofagasta that nowadays is called " The Chimba ".
The city was founded in the year 1879 and it celebrates its day on February 14, day in which the city was occupied by the Chilean troops.
The picture was taken last summer when suddenly the Whales came to visit us, this is not ususal but it happened last summer and it was a nice surprise.
There are many places that you can visit in the city like the principal square "Plaza Colón" , the cathedral, "La Portada" and "Ruinas de Huanchaca", where you can see the big walls of stone that used as anchorage to the ovens of a former smelting of silver, it was activate between 1893 and 1912.
- Pros:the weather
- Cons:some insecure places
La Kzona is a new Pub/Bar really good, I went last weekend to drink something and to enjoy a time, the music is great,... more travel advice
This is a great store that is also in many cities of Chile. In Antofagasta is one of the most important shopping center... more travel advice
patricia28's Related Pages
Antofagasta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antofagasta...home sweet home"
- "Antofagasta, Chile gateway to the Atacama"
- "antofagasta,on the way to atacama desert"
- "blanketpower's new Antofagasta Page"
- "lamogio's new Antofagasta Page"
- "Antofagasta (Actually, northern Chile)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antofagasta
- Hotels in Antofagasta
- Transportation in Antofagasta
- Nightlife in Antofagasta
- Restaurants in Antofagasta
- Shopping in Antofagasta
- Warnings and Dangers in Antofagasta
- See All...
Explore the World
- Anuradhapura Hotels
- Zichron Yaakov
- Putney Heath Hotels
- Kapurthala Hotels
- Manhattan Beach
- Watergrasshill Hotels
- Bukit Panjang New Town Hotels
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
- Lake Taghkanic State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Antofagasta
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Antofagasta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antofagasta
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Pedro de Atacama Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santa Barbara Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iguassu Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antofagasta Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Punta Cana Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cancún Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iquique Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Cologne Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bonn Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos