"We arra people............." Scotland by Paisleypaul
Scotland Travel Guide: 13,577 reviews and 31,626 photos
" We hate Coca - Cola ;
We hate Fanta too
(it's sh**e !!!!)
We're the Tartan Ar-my
An we love irn-bru.........."
The above somewhat unlikely footie anthem sums upto me one five - millionth part of the 5 000 000 population, homogenized into just one single Scotsman ; patriotic, loyal, and unable to take just about anything in life too seriously
While England and Wales followed Gaul in being subsumed into the Roman Empire in the first century BC and the Roman Army built roads throughout Europe and environs, the Emperor Hadrian reached Scotalnd at the north of England and bottled it (in a way that no Italian would match until Bobby Baggio in the 1994 World Cup Final penalties shoot out). Hence, they built the road up the way ,and the wall was invented. (Hadrian's wall, not the football scenario for defending a free kick)
The Pictish people were the only people in Europe to give the Roman army second-prize when the Empire was truly at its peak. The hilly landscape leant itself to a kind of guerilla warfare that the methodical and regimented legions had no answer to. By not engaging the Picts, a stalemate developed and Hadrian's wall was built. The name the Picts refers to the painted people. The modern day Scots who are most directly descended from the Picts tend to have jet black hair like Mediterranean or Latin types, but pale complexions that are better avoiding too much Sun.
There are in fact some Roman remains of settlements in Scotland, as later they did venture as far as the Central Region at the edge of the Southern lowlands.
There are lots of places that we frequent locally where I would never get aroundto writing up a homepage, it is my intention now to collate those bars restaurants and places of interest into this Scotland page. Most of these will be around the central belt, also Southwest and around the Trossachs
- Pros:Unmatched scenery, fresh air,history, (carefully selected!) local cuisine
- Cons:Taking your chances with weather for outdoor activities
- In a nutshell:I will try in coming months to do my Scotland pages justice !
My love affair with Sardinia is well noted elsewhere (including VTs top Alghero page, well into 20,000+ hits) . Really,... more travel advice
The main ingredient of haggis is oatmeal, there is a lot of myth about this dish. It is true that it was traditionally... more travel advice
Paisleypaul's Related Pages
Scotland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scotland For The Brave"
- "Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney"
- "My Scotland page"
- "Alba, Caledonia, "God's Country"; this is Scotland"
- "Ben-UK's Scotland page"
- "Scotland, a sassenach's view"
- "BONNIE SCOTLAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scotland
- Hotels in Scotland
- Transportation in Scotland
- Nightlife in Scotland
- Restaurants in Scotland
- Shopping in Scotland
- Warnings and Dangers in Scotland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scotland
- 33 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 73 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Scotland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scotland
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 75 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alghero Intro, 34 reviews, 94 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 22 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palermo Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 17 reviews, 57 photos
- Geneva Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- Cągliari Intro, 14 reviews, 58 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues