"Monreale - Cathedral City of Sicily" Top 5 Page for this destination Monreale by Paisleypaul
Monreale Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 117 photos
Great views of Palermo and the Conca d'Oro - again from atop the Cathedral ! All roads lead here in Monreale - so I will start with a corrected translation of the rather pidgin English aside the Italian at the Cathedral's entry
" The Maria La Nuova Cathedral was built between 1174 and 1176 for King William II. A Latin cross divides the floor area - 102 metres x 40 metres - into three aisles and nine columns a side. The Byzantine mosaic decorations were added from the end of the 12th until early 13th century, by skilled Venetian and Moslem craftsmen.
The mosaics (surface area > 6,300 sq.M) depict Latin and Greek Old & NewTestament scenes, with the Greek 'Pantocrator' the focal point - the blessing Christ of the central apse.
The sarcophagi of Guglielmo I & Guglielmo II are on the RHS aisle. The access to Piazza Guglielmo is through an 18th century portico twixt the two towers.
Bonanno Pisano (1186) added the 42 - panel portal-leaves ; to the left of the portico are found the Gagini Brothers (1547-1569) panels ; the work of Barisano from Trani, the 42 panels depicting Saints.
You pay something very modest - about Eu2.00 - to climb to the top of the tower with great views of Palermo
And on your way up you will pass the cloisters gardens and auxiliary buildings of the main cathedral
- Pros:Got to be seen when visitng Palermo
- Cons:Avoide late afternoon - popular time for weddings - invivted guests only
- In a nutshell:"He who visits Palermo without seeing Monreale leaves a donkey & comes back an ass" - proverb
The bus for Monreale is number 389 and leaves from Piazza Independenzia near the Norman Palace. It leaves from the West... more travel advice
Paisleypaul's Related Pages
Monreale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great discovery"
- "Monreale - Cathedral City of Sicily"
- "Monreale: A Hill Town & World-Class Cathedral"
- "The jewel near Palermo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monreale
- Hotels in Monreale
- Transportation in Monreale
- Restaurants in Monreale
- Warnings and Dangers in Monreale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monreale
- 2 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Monreale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monreale
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 64 reviews, 161 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alghero Intro, 34 reviews, 94 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 18 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palermo Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos
- Geneva Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 12 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bergamo Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos
- Milan Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.