"Sicilian capital on the up" Top 5 Page for this destination Palermo by Paisleypaul
Palermo Travel Guide: 561 reviews and 1,593 photos
Palermo, population 750,000, is the capital of the island of Sicilia, on the North coast of the island. Greek, Roman, Norman and Arab influences blend, and sometimes clash, in a mix of tastes as pronounced in the human sense as in the culinary one. Known for half a century for being in a state of decay, government money was creamed off by the Mafia. Any up to date guide book will document how the tide has now turned - there is even a large civic monument to the downfall of the Cosa Nostra. Many beautiful buildings and monuments have now thankfully been cleaned up and restored, there is also still quite some way to go. Palermo is like a boxer who has hit the canvas but after a count of 40 or 50 years has come up fighting.
See also my related pages - Mondello (beach), Monreale (half-day trip) & Cefalu (resort a short train ride away)
This is the Stazione Centrale, Piazza Gulio Cesare, from the bottom of Via Roma.........
.... a contrast with the nearby Porta Sant Agata.
- Pros:Cuisine Wine Sun architecture arts good base for North coast
- Cons:Insane traffic, constant siren noise, ongoing 'facelifts'
- In a nutshell:Worth a visit - moreso in years to come with the makeover underway
Chiesa di San Domenico is just of Via Roma, at, naturally, Piazza San Domenico. I always like the art and craftsmanship... more travel advice
Had not found anything on the Chiesa di San Giuseppe dei Teatini that I could recall in any of the guide books but for... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Orto Botanico - Botanical Gareden
Written May 9, 2016
Port / Harbour area
Paisleypaul's Related Pages
Palermo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Palermo - My Home Town"
- "Capital of Arabic, Norman and Spanish Sicily"
- "Palermo, past and present"
- "Sicilian capital on the up"
- "P A L E R M O!!!!!!!"
- "Palermo, caput mundo di Sicilia..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palermo
- Hotels in Palermo
- Transportation in Palermo
- Nightlife in Palermo
- Restaurants in Palermo
- Shopping in Palermo
- Warnings and Dangers in Palermo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palermo
- 19 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Palermo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palermo
- updated a Palermo Travel Page "Sicilian capital on the up"
- Posted in Travel T'bilisi Forum "Re: Are Mastercard, Visa Card..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cucina Siciliana"
- Wrote a Review Chiesa di San Domenico about Other churches in Palermo Things to Do
- Commented on one of piccolina's Palermo travel pages
Photos in PalermoSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 75 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alghero Intro, 34 reviews, 94 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 22 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palermo Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 17 reviews, 57 photos
- Geneva Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- Càgliari Intro, 14 reviews, 58 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues