Sassari Things to Do Tips by Paisleypaul
Sassari Things to Do: 11 reviews and 34 photos
This has run annually for 400 to 500 years on 14th August, the eve of the Assumption, in thanks for deliverance from a plague
The nine candles are in fact 8 metre tall coloured wooden columns, painted, decortated, bedecked on ribbons and carrying religious iconography. Nine ancient guilds - farmers, land owners, carpenters,stone pike men, wayfarers, tailors cobblers vegetable farmers and stonemasons - are all represented.
The Candelieri are blessed in the Church of the Rosary at Piazza Rosario before lining up to proceed from Piazza Castello at around 18:00. At length they proceed down Corso Vittorio Emanulele II for the 'a zent anni' - Sardinian dialect for the 100 years blessing at the town hall.
Finally they end up at Santa Marai di Bethlehem church, although they were nowhwere near when we had to catch the last rain for Alghero at 20:55. It does take all night ! A record crowd extimated by the daily newspaper at 100,000 + attended in 2006, the numbersthringing the streets and packing the cafes were what made the spectacle to me
Address: Piazza Castello/ Corso Vittorio Emanule II
Directions: Can't miss the crowds !
Phone: 079 2830902 / 2830905
Fontana di Rosello, 1606
Genovese stonemasons created the original Fonte in 1606, unfortunately the four figures -who represent the four seasons - were damaged during civil unrest and the new figures date back 180 years
Address: Corso Trinita / Piazza Mercato
Directions: Central to the town, the medieval walls run along Corso Trinita
More Reviews (3)
Paisleypaul's Related Pages
Sassari Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alliterative Sassari - Sardinia's Second City !"
- "Bonio in Sassari"
- "Sassari and Northern Sardinia - Italy"
- "Escape to Sardinia"
- "WHY GOING TO EXOTIC PLACES WHEN WE HAVE SARDINIA?"
- "Sassari north west Sardinia."
- "baia sardinia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sassari
- Hotels in Sassari
- Transportation in Sassari
- Restaurants in Sassari
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sassari
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Sassari?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sassari
Photos in SassariSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 75 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alghero Intro, 34 reviews, 94 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 22 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palermo Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 17 reviews, 57 photos
- Geneva Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- Càgliari Intro, 14 reviews, 58 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues