"Alliterative Sassari - Sardinia's Second City !" Sassari by Paisleypaul
Sassari Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 71 photos
Sassari, in the Northwest, is Sardinia's "second city" after the capital, Cagliari, and has a six figure population. Before going I tried to research it on VT and found it to be all but omitted - even when restuarant tips appear on the handful of pages they belong to Alghero ! it is close but inland to both Alghero and Fertilia, not a holiday destination, but it could provide some additional shopping opprotunities if you are based in either of the resorts and is worth seeing especiallly for the Festival of the Candles on 14th August ; Il Candelieri
The statue is of Sassari born jurist Domenico Alberto Azuni (1749-1827), an important figure in maritime and commercial law. He published works both in French and Italian either side of the turn of the 1800s, and before his death in the Saredinian capital of Cagliari. wrote a history of the island.
From around 6pm on the 14th of August for the last five centuries* , the Guilds of the Candelieri have marked their deliverance from a plague with this homage to the Virgin Mary on the eve of the Assumption (Ferragosto holiday).
* There is debate as to which one of three plagues in the middle ages started the annual procession
Seems the whole city turns out for the Candelieri - except those fortunate enough to live on Corso Vittorio Emanuele II !
- Pros:Candelieri provides an interesting evening out from resorts
- Cons:VT'ers intending to visit not well catered for - research !
- In a nutshell:Would need more info to see it as more than a one off visit
Handy for the start of the Candelieri festival while you wait in Piazza Castello, seats outside are under cover, if... more travel advice
This has run annually for 400 to 500 years on 14th August, the eve of the Assumption, in thanks for deliverance from a... more travel advice
Paisleypaul's Related Pages
Sassari Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alliterative Sassari - Sardinia's Second City !"
- "Bonio in Sassari"
- "Sassari and Northern Sardinia - Italy"
- "Escape to Sardinia"
- "WHY GOING TO EXOTIC PLACES WHEN WE HAVE SARDINIA?"
- "Sassari north west Sardinia."
- "baia sardinia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sassari
- Hotels in Sassari
- Transportation in Sassari
- Restaurants in Sassari
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sassari
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Sassari?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sassari
Photos in SassariSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 73 reviews, 199 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alghero Intro, 34 reviews, 94 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 22 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palermo Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Geneva Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- Càgliari Intro, 14 reviews, 58 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 12 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos