"Bellissima Cortona" Top 5 Page for this destination Cortona by FieryRedhead

Cortona Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 221 photos

I couldn't dream a place more beautiful

I came to Cortona because I am one of those American women who saw Under the Tuscan Sun one too many times and something about it just called to me. Although the movie is very different from the book, the central theme of Cortona and its charm are what drew me there. It is now my mission in life to return and live there. Absolutely magical and charming. No description I could ever give would do it justice.

Local architecture

I live in Los Angeles, where anything that is old is considered "bad" and replaced with new slapshod stucco structures that all look the same, which are considered "good". I love the crumbling villas, cobblestone streets and sense of an ancient time that exists in Cortona. Aside from the modern cars and amenities, people still exist there as they have for generations. I felt almost as if I was an intrusion in their simple way of life, yet so transfixed by it that I wanted to completely abandon the life I have in Los Angeles. We live to work in Los Angeles, and in all of Italy it seems that they work to live, and it's all the rest that matters: good food, family, friendships, conversation, beauty, art... la dolce vita.

Santa Marguerita Church

Several locals served in both WWI and WWII, but the city of Cortona remained safe in both wars. They attribute this to Santa Marguerita and hold a large festival to her in February. We had to leave the day before and unfortunately didn't get any pictures of it, but the locals all dress in medieval clothing and have a hold a festival for their saint.

• Pros:Gorgeous, serene
  • Cons:Definitely know at least basic Italian... very few locals speak or choose to speak English
  • In a nutshell:I wish I never had to leave
  • Last visit to Cortona: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 25, 2005

• Mar 21, 2006 at 8:26 AM

Great photos and captions - can't wait to experience it for myself!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2005 at 5:08 PM

What's not to love about Italian hilltop towns? (Try Orvieto next time). Nice travelogues.

FieryRedhead's Related Pages

FieryRedhead

“Live like you mean it”

Badges & Stats in Cortona

Have you been to Cortona?

Latest Activity in Cortona