"City of Dreams" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend by goodfish
Port Townsend Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 380 photos
This picturesque little town on the north side of the Olympic peninsula was once called the "City of Dreams" - envisioned to become the most prosperous harbor on the west coast. Established in 1851 by white settlers on land granted by the indigenous Klallam tribe, it grew steadily until a critical spur of the Northern Pacific Railroad, which would have connected the port to Tacoma, failed to materialize. Without an efficient means of shipping goods arriving by sea, investors went looking for more lucrative opportunities and many townspeople left with them.
The harbor they abandoned is still lovely and many of the gorgeous, Victorian-era homes, churches and commercial structures, built with such high hopes over a century ago, have been lovingly preserved and restored. The original dream may have faded but a new one was realized by enterprising persons drawn to the beauty, peace and affordability of this quiet little village overlooking the Puget Sound.
- Pros:Fascinating architecture, beautiful harbor and nice people
- Cons:Not a one
Water Street, which is sort of Port Townsend's Main Street, has lots of shops, galleries, restaurants and a few pubs:... more travel advice
The waterfront is a wonderful place explore and there are various pedestrian routes along the shoreline that include... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Port Townsend Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Object of Desire: Port Townsend"
- "PORT TOWNSEND - PUGET SOUND GETAWAY"
- "Once Overlooked, but Now Growing Tourist Center"
- "City of Dreams"
- "Port Townsend"
- "a town of alternative lifestyles."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Townsend
- Hotels in Port Townsend
- Transportation in Port Townsend
- Nightlife in Port Townsend
- Restaurants in Port Townsend
- Shopping in Port Townsend
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Townsend
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Townsend
- 6 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (172)
Have you been to Port Townsend?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Townsend
Photos in Port TownsendSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 90 reviews, 388 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 308 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 38 reviews, 163 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 43 reviews, 140 photos
- San Diego Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 31 reviews, 131 photos