"Twilight of the Vampires" Top 5 Page for this destination Forks by goodfish
Forks Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 46 photos
A few years ago Stephenie Meyer penned a romance called "Twilight" about a young girl named Bella and a vampire named Edward...and struck gold. So did the little down-on-its-luck logging town of Forks, Washington. Ms. Meyer needed a dark, spooky and very wet location for her story and upon discovering that Forks gets an average of 121 inches of rain a year, she found her spot.
The first book expanded into several more and onto blockbusting films as well. With the release of every new volume and movie, more and more curious fans trickled into Forks to see where these fictional characters "lived".
The trickle quickly become a flood and the locals, while at once amused and bewildered, have been quick to capitalize on their good fortune. The hordes of giddy females that descend on this tiny town can take Twilight tours, buy Twilight chocolate bars, munch a Twilight sammie at Subway, and shop for Twilight tchotchkes at the local "Dazzled by Twilight" store. They can also stay in Bella suites at local motels, gorge on Bellaburgers, Bellasagna, Bellaberry pie and finish it all off with Bella creme candies.
Needless to say, the friendly folks of Forks are grateful for all the attention but it's still an unassuming small town with one stoplight. There aren't a lot of places to eat - a few cafes and pizza joints - and apparently only one bar. There are a handful of B&BS and motels, and shopping, other than the Twilight store, is virtually non-existant. If not a fan of bloodsuckers, you come here because it's within spittin' distance of one of the few remaining rain forests in the US and some of most wild and beautiful beaches on the pacific coast.
So here are some websites for more info:
Restaurant/bars we stopped into were:
In Place Restaurant
320 S Forks Ave
Forks Coffee Shop
241 S Forks Ave
Mill Creek Bar and Grill
1222 South Forks Avenue
The first two were fine for breakfast or a sandwich but service can be slow. The last one is where you go for a cold pint. Avoid a place called The Smokehouse at all costs - unfriendly, depressing atmosphere, seriously overworked waitstaff and sky-high prices. We lasted 15 minutes and fled for the basic but cheerful diners listed above.
See my Olympic National Park pages for more about the Hoh Rain Forest and gorgeous beaches in this area.
Big "Twilight" events - like Stephenie Meyer Day (Sept 13) - in Forks can swamp this tiny town with fans. Be sure to... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Forks Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Forks - home of the Twilight Saga"
- "Logging Community known for Vampires"
- "Twilight of the Vampires"
- "Forks, the Timber Town"
- "TWILIGHT put this town on the map"
- "Overview of Forks, Washington"
- "Forks Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Forks
- Hotels in Forks
- Restaurants in Forks
- Warnings and Dangers in Forks
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Forks
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (186)
Have you been to Forks?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Forks
Photos in ForksSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 90 reviews, 388 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 308 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 42 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 43 reviews, 140 photos
- San Diego Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 31 reviews, 131 photos