"Where adventure Begins" Top 5 Page for this destination Moab by goodfish
Moab Travel Guide: 413 reviews and 1,086 photos
"To those who have heard it, including the author of this book, the sound is unearthly. It starts as a low growl that quickly increases in pitch and volume until ending in a shriek. It's like no animal cry ever encountered and no bird call that has ever been heard."
Tom McCourt on the Moki scream: excerpt from "The Moab Story from Cowpokes to Bike Spokes"
Mr. McCourt tells us that the Navajo believe this spooky caterwauling comes from cranky spirits (Moki) that hang around the canyons and abandoned cliff dwellings of the Southwest. My theory is a bit different, at least since the tourists (more frightening by far than any apparition) have invaded their previously lonely domains. Southeastern Utah offers a hundred different opportunities to drown, break your neck, fracture your skull, sprain an ankle, shatter your spine, expire of dehydration or saw your own arm off with a butter knife. All that hollerin' is just another slickrock biker, daredevil climber, whitewater rafter or backcountry scrambler who played loose with Mother Nature and got an *ss whuppin'.
All the more reason to love Moab. While fleets of mammoth tour buses belch their way along the roads of Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, disgorging chattering hordes of humanity for the 5-minute snap of Overlook #17, two wheels, a kayak, tent or just a good pair of boots are all you need to find a quiet, remote corner to commune with The Great Outdoors and/or die trying.
It's a scrappy little town of folks who look like me: who haven't been religious with the sunscreen and hat; have skinned elbows and scraped knees; who go to dinner in cargo shorts and Keens; who never quite get all the dust out of the creases. Many came for a weekend and just never left. They cheerfully fry up burgers, pull pints of beer, provide guide services, and haul casualties out of impossible places: the busiest SAR Team in Utah is based here. In a nutshell: hate the outdoors and you'll run screaming for the nearest mall. Love it and you might stay forever.
Just watch out for those Mokis, ya hear?
(updates and new reviews from trip #3 in process)
- Pros:Heaven for the outdoor enthusiast
- Cons:Hell for mall rats
- In a nutshell:My kind of place
Another excellent resource for authentic Native American craft, Lema’s has been a Moab fixture for nearly 30 years.... more travel advice
OK so it’s not all that big, and it’s been over century since it was a slammer but one of Moab’s oldest buildings (1885)... more travel advice
- See All Outrageous Hike #3: Hidden Valley
- Run. Run while you can.
- See All Getting Around
- Pints without Pain
goodfish's Related Pages
Moab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Nucleus of Activity Close to Here"
- "Where adventure Begins"
- "Red Rock, Slick Rock, Arches and Canyons"
- "Off Road Mecca"
- "3 Days in Moab"
- "Moab, UT - Nature at Its Best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moab
- Hotels in Moab
- Transportation in Moab
- Nightlife in Moab
- Restaurants in Moab
- Shopping in Moab
- Warnings and Dangers in Moab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moab
- 38 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Moab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moab
- Posted in Travel North America Forum "Re: Road trip from Dunluth..."
- Wrote a Review Sure things in Moab Shopping
- Commented on one of goodfish's Moab tips
- updated a Moab Travel Page "Where adventure Begins"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Outrageous Hike #3: Hidden Valley"
- Commented on the Moab Nightlife travel guide
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 89 reviews, 384 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 308 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 31 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 38 reviews, 117 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues