"Where adventure Begins" Top 5 Page for this destination Moab by goodfish
Moab Travel Guide: 393 reviews and 997 photos
"To those who have heard it, including the author of this book, the sound is unearthly. It starts as a low growl that quickly increases in pitch and volume until ending in a shriek. It's like no animal cry ever encountered and no bird call that has ever been heard."
Tom McCourt on the Moki scream: excerpt from "The Moab Story from Cowpokes to Bike Spokes"
Mr. McCourt tells us that the Navajo believe this spooky caterwauling comes from cranky spirits (Moki) that hang around the canyons and abandoned cliff dwellings of the Southwest. My theory is a bit different, at least since the tourists (more frightening by far than any apparition) have invaded their previously lonely domains. Southeastern Utah offers a hundred different opportunities to drown, break your neck, fracture your skull, sprain an ankle, shatter your spine, expire of dehydration or saw your own arm off with a butter knife. All that hollerin' is just another slickrock biker, daredevil climber, whitewater rafter or backcountry scrambler who played loose with Mother Nature and got an *ss whuppin'.
All the more reason to love Moab. While fleets of mammoth tour buses belch their way along the roads of Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, disgorging chattering hordes of humanity for the 5-minute snapshot of Overlook #17, two wheels, a kayak, tent or just a good pair of boots are all you need to find a quiet, remote corner to commune with The Great Outdoors and/or die trying.
It's a scrappy little town of folks who look like me: people who haven't been religious with the sunscreen and hat; have skinned elbows and scraped knees; who go to dinner in cargo shorts and Keens; who never quite get all the dust out of the creases. Many came for a weekend - to conquer the rivers, trails and slickrock - and never went home. They cheerfully fry up burgers, pull pints of beer, provide guide services and haul the dazed, injured and stranded out of impossible places: the busiest Search and Rescue Team in the state is based here. In a nutshell: hate the outdoors and you'll run screaming for the nearest mall. Love it and you might stay forever.
Just watch out for those Mokis, ya hear?
- Pros:Heaven for the outdoor enthusiast
- Cons:Hell for mall rats
- In a nutshell:My kind of place
I’ve no idea why people do this stuff. Bar M Chuckwagon is one of those hokey bus-tour meccas in an imitation western... more travel advice
The best souvenir ever for anyone who has spent time getting good and filthy in southern Utah's red dust is a Dirt... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Moab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Nucleus of Activity Close to Here"
- "Where adventure Begins"
- "Red Rock, Slick Rock, Arches and Canyons"
- "Off Road Mecca"
- "3 Days in Moab"
- "Moab, UT - Nature at Its Best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moab
- Hotels in Moab
- Transportation in Moab
- Nightlife in Moab
- Restaurants in Moab
- Shopping in Moab
- Warnings and Dangers in Moab
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moab
- 31 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Moab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moab
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Sad News :("
- Commented on one of goodfish's Moab tips
- Wrote a Review Run. Run while you can. in Moab Tourist Traps
- Commented on the Moab travel guide
- updated a Moab Travel Page "Where adventure Begins"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Moab Story from Cowpokes to Bike Spokes"
Photos in MoabSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 84 reviews, 354 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 308 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- San Diego Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 31 reviews, 116 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos