Canyonlands National Park Off The Beaten Path Tips by goodfish Top 5 Page for this destination
Canyonlands National Park Off The Beaten Path: 8 reviews and 13 photos
Situated 2000 feet above the Colorado River, the legend goes that cowboys once rounded up wild mustangs and herded them onto what is now called Dead Horse Point Overlook. After choosing the horses they wanted to keep, they somehow forgot about the rest and, trapped on that waterless point far above the river, the poor things died of thirst.
Sad as the story is, the panorama from this overlook is stunning. From here you can see a hairpin turn of the Colorado River (in my pix above), a little of the Green River off to the southwest, and across miles and miles of Canyonlands N.P.
I don't know if this is really an "off the beaten" as it was pretty lively but it's on the way to Canyonlands NP Island in the Sky district - take 191N. for 10 miles out of Moab, then southwest on 313 for 14 miles to the turnoff. Turn left and continue another 7 miles to the Visitor Center. Fee is $10 per vehicle, $5 for seniors, and the park has a campground ($20 per site) with electrical hookups, tent pads, covered shelter, charcoal grates and bathrooms. No showers. There's one (short) paved walking trail and several primitive hiking trails.
See the park website for visitor center/concession hours and more information.
Phone: Rsrv. campsites - 1-800-322-3770
More Reviews (24)
goodfish's Related Pages
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the Canyons"
- "Kimberlyann's Canyonlands National Park, Utah"
- "Basaic Canyonlands National Park Page"
- "Large Park Spread Over Miles"
- "Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District"
- "The Watermelon Settlement: Canyonlands"
- "Canyonlands - Remote, Tough, and Beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canyonlands National Park
- Hotels in Canyonlands National Park
- Transportation in Canyonlands National Park
- Restaurants in Canyonlands National Park
- Shopping in Canyonlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Canyonlands National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canyonlands National Park
- 25 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 23 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Canyonlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canyonlands National Park
Photos in Canyonlands National ParkSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 84 reviews, 354 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 308 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- San Diego Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 31 reviews, 116 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos