"Land of the Canyons" Top 5 Page for this destination Canyonlands National Park by goodfish
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 476 photos
Rugged, remote, desolate, dangerous and majestic, Canyonlands NP is also enormous. The park is divided into four districts (Island in the Sky, Needles, Horseshoe Canyon and the Maze) that are reached by separate entry points. All are a bit (or more) of a drive to get to and none of them are really designed to be explored by car. You need to be prepared to walk, scramble or climb more than a little bit to really experience the many wonders that most districts have to offer but your efforts will be rewarded many times over.
Island in the Sky (closest to Moab: 32 miles) offers the longest scenic drive and trails ranging from .5 to 20-milers.
Needles is a 75-mile drive from Moab and has day hikes from an easy .3 mile RT stroll to multi-day treks of over 22 one-way.
Horseshoe Canyon is a remote 100 miles from Moab - 32 of them on rough dirt road - and has one 7-mile hike to the some of the most fantastic Barrier-style pictographs in the country.
The Maze is the least visited and the most challenging as trips into its canyons involve high-clearance, 4-wheel drive roads and days of backpacking plus topographic map, climbing and self-suffiency skills.
Different of the districts allow primitive camping, backpacking (with a permit), experienced 4-wheeling, and mountain biking so check out the NPS website for info on those.
Make Moab your base for Island in the Sky and combine your stay with Arches National and Dead Horse Point State parks - both of which are nearby and roughly on the way to the Island In the Sky park entrance. Arches offers a completely different experience (more time looking up than down) so you'll get an unbelievable variety within reasonable driving distances.
We stayed in Hanksville for the Horseshoe Canyon unit, and made the drive from Moab to Needles and back for the Chesler Park/Joint Trail trek: I'd camp if wanting to do more than one day of exploration there.
- Pros:Fantastic vistas, not as crowded as other National Parks
- Cons:None unless you are a couch potato
- In a nutshell:Pick a canyon, any canyon, and it'll be amazing
Just kidding but gotta put in a plug here for the men and women of the NPS. We've come into contact with a lot of... more travel advice
Dogs and other pets are not allowed on any of the trails, in the backcountry or in the visitor center, and can only be... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the Canyons"
- "Kimberlyann's Canyonlands National Park, Utah"
- "Basaic Canyonlands National Park Page"
- "Large Park Spread Over Miles"
- "Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District"
- "The Watermelon Settlement: Canyonlands"
- "Canyonlands - Remote, Tough, and Beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canyonlands National Park
- Hotels in Canyonlands National Park
- Transportation in Canyonlands National Park
- Restaurants in Canyonlands National Park
- Shopping in Canyonlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Canyonlands National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Canyonlands National Park
- 25 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 23 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Canyonlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canyonlands National Park
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: avoiding loss of typed forum..."
- Commented on one of goodfish's Canyonlands National Park tips
- updated a Canyonlands National Park Travel Page "Land of the Canyons"
- Wrote a Review Hug a Ranger in Canyonlands National Park Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hug a Ranger"
Photos in Canyonlands National ParkSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 77 reviews, 318 photos
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 307 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 36 reviews, 100 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (109)
Latest Canyonlands National Park hotel reviews
- Squaw Flat Campground
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013