"Arches National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park by goodfish
Arches National Park Travel Guide: 609 reviews and 1,580 photos
Red, red sandstone against a deep blue sky: Arches is Shutterbug Heaven. Millions of years of deposition, faulting and erosion has created 2,000 natural stone arches and other formations that can be driven, hiked, biked, and climbed . This area has been inhabited for 10,000 years: first by hunter/gatherers, then by Ancestral People, and later by contemporary Native Americans. For all of its beauty, it's also an inhospitable and fragile environment with little water and scorching heat. A national park since 1971, Arches has 18 miles of scenic road that winds through towering rock formations and ends at trailheads needed to access most of the natural arches. While there's some good scenery from the car window, this is a park that must be seen on foot to be appreciated as its most picturesque viewpoints are off-road.
I highly recommend combining a visit to Arches with the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park. They are within shoutin' distance (relatively) from each other and you'll get two entirely different experiences (see my Canyonlands page/tips for info). Canyonlands is a lot like seeing the Grand Canyon: you spend a lot of time looking down. At Arches, you'll mostly be looking up. If you've ever done Zion and Bryce in one trip you'll know what I mean? Lovers of nature may find (as we did) that they prefer Canyonlands during peak season because of the absence of people: Arches was uncomfortably crowded the first time we were there, and parking can be a real challenge. It was a little less congested on our September trip in 2011, and by hiking into the further reaches of the park you can lose the majority of the bus-touring masses.
General Information: Arches is 5 miles north of Moab, Utah on U.S. 191. Entrance fees are $5 per pedestrian, bicyclist or motorcycle, and $10 per vehicle (or use your annual N.P. pass if you have one.) The park is open 24/7 every day of the year with visitor center hours changing seasonally. It offers a slide show, books, gifts, water and general information but no food. There are also no shuttles and no lodgings, other than a campground, within the park.
- Pros:Nice assortment of hiking trails and terrific place for shutterbugs
- Cons:Very crowded and very hot during high season
- In a nutshell:Bring a lot of memory cards for the camera: you'll need them!
Just kidding but gotta put in a plug here for the men and women of the NPS. We've come into contact with a lot of... more travel advice
Arches has a parking problem. They KNOW they have a parking problem but have not yet been able to come up with a good... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Arches National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arches NP - Arches Sandstone Wonderland"
- "Finding the Angles at Arches"
- "Arches National Park"
- "Vistas around every bend..."
- "Amazing Arches"
- "ARCHES NATIONAL PARK - UTAH"
- "Desert Gem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arches National Park
- Hotels in Arches National Park
- Transportation in Arches National Park
- Nightlife in Arches National Park
- Restaurants in Arches National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Arches National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arches National Park
- 27 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Arches National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arches National Park
- Posted in Travel Rome Forum "Re: Rome time for passport check..."
- Commented on the Arches National Park travel guide
- Commented on one of goodfish's Arches National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Hug a ranger in Arches National Park Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hug a ranger"
- updated a Arches National Park Travel Page "Arches National Park"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 84 reviews, 354 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 308 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- San Diego Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 31 reviews, 116 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos