"La Villa Real de la Santa Fe" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe by goodfish
Santa Fe Travel Guide: 686 reviews and 1,374 photos
We made our first trip to Santa Fe back in 1999, and rehashed so many great memories over the next nine years that we made a return trip in 2008 - just to see if it could be as fabulous a second time around. It was. In fact, we had so much fun that I've told my other half I'm not waiting yet another decade for our next margaritas on the plaza!
She is the oldest capital in the United States, and has held firmly to her roots as home to both indigenous Pueblo tribes - from as far back as the first century - and the Spanish, who explored this region in the 1500's. It wasn't initially an easy or peaceful marriage of cultures but eventually the best of both worlds came together to create a city as rich and colorful as its history.
Here are my top 10 reasons to visit:
1. Creative/Fine Arts: from Native American metalwork and pottery to Canyon Road's 2 miles of galleries, Santa Fe is the 2nd largest art market in the U.S.
2. Museums: Wheelwright, Georgia O'Keeffe, International Folk Art and more
3. Food: if you've never eaten Southwestern, it's high time you did
4. Arts and Culture: pueblo dances, architectural walks, Santa Fe Opera, cooking classes....
5. History: this is an old, old lady with many, many fascinating stories
6. Festivals: Wine, Indian Market, Fiesta, Harvest and more
7. Day trips: just a short drive to old mining towns, pueblos, parks and small art communities
8. Shopping: loads of unique shops to browse
9. Weather: deep blue skies, starry nights and 320 days of sunshine a year!
10. Outdoor Fun: hike, raft, ski, golf, walk, bike or just soak up the sun: you'll never be bored!
- Pros:Food, art, culture, diversity and lots of great hiking in area
- Cons:Night owls will find that the sidewalks roll up a little early
- In a nutshell:My favorite little U.S. city
This cemetery was very close to our rental so we took a walk through it one evening on our way back from the plaza. It's... more travel advice
Looking at Cerrillos, it's hard to believe that it was once a lively mining community with 21 saloons, 4 hotels, a... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Santa Fe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Pristine Winter Wonderland--Santa Fe,New Mexico"
- "Santa Fe, New Mexico"
- ""Fanta Se""
- "La Villa Real de la Santa Fe"
- "Steep in History"
- "The City Different"
- "Santa Fe Days"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Fe
- Hotels in Santa Fe
- Transportation in Santa Fe
- Nightlife in Santa Fe
- Restaurants in Santa Fe
- Shopping in Santa Fe
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Fe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Fe
- 28 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (124)
Have you been to Santa Fe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Fe
Photos in Santa FeSee All Photos (100)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 84 reviews, 354 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 308 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- San Diego Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul Intro, 31 reviews, 116 photos
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 113 photos