"La Villa Real de la Santa Fe" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe by goodfish
Santa Fe Travel Guide: 702 reviews and 1,410 photos
We made our first trip to Santa Fe back in 1999 and rehashed so many great memories over the next nine years that we made a return trip in 2008... just to see if it could be as fabulous a second time around. It was. In fact, we had so much fun that I've told my Other Half that I'm not waiting yet another decade for our next margaritas on the plaza!
2016 note: I only had to wait another 8 years: just returned from the latest trip and am in the process of updating these pages.
She is the oldest capital in the United States, and has held firmly to her roots as home to both indigenous Pueblo tribes - from as far back as the first century - and the Spanish who explored this region in the 1500's. It wasn't initially an easy or peaceful marriage of cultures but eventually the best of both worlds came together to create a city as rich and colorful as its history.
Here are my top 10 reasons to visit:
1. Creative/Fine Arts: from Native American metalwork and pottery to Canyon Road's 2 miles of galleries, Santa Fe is the 2nd largest art market in the U.S.
2. Museums: Wheelwright, Georgia O'Keeffe, International Folk Art and more
3. Food: if you've never eaten Southwestern, it's high time you did
4. Arts and Culture: pueblo dances, architectural walks, Santa Fe Opera, cooking classes....
5. History: this is an old, old lady with many, many fascinating stories
6. Festivals: Wine, Indian Market, Fiesta, Harvest and more
7. Day trips: just a short drive to old mining towns, pueblos, parks and small art communities
8. Shopping: loads of unique shops to browse
9. Weather: deep blue skies, starry nights and 320 days of sunshine a year!
10. Outdoor Fun: hike, raft, ski, golf, walk, bike or just soak up the sun: you'll never be bored!
- Pros:Food, art, culture, diversity and lots of great hiking in area
- Cons:Night owls will find that the sidewalks roll up a little early
- In a nutshell:My favorite small U.S. city
As state art museums go, this one is surprisingly small. It has a good-sized catalog of works but it appears that wall... more travel advice
This is my favorite Santa Fe museum, highly recommended for anyone interested in the rich culture of the Southwest’s... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Santa Fe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Pristine Winter Wonderland--Santa Fe,New Mexico"
- "Santa Fe, New Mexico"
- ""Fanta Se""
- "La Villa Real de la Santa Fe"
- "Steep in History"
- "The City Different"
- "Santa Fe Days"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Fe
- Hotels in Santa Fe
- Transportation in Santa Fe
- Nightlife in Santa Fe
- Restaurants in Santa Fe
- Shopping in Santa Fe
- Warnings and Dangers in Santa Fe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Fe
- 33 Reviews
- 126 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (173)
Have you been to Santa Fe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Fe
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Review showing twice/headline..."
- Commented on one of goodfish's Santa Fe tips
- Wrote a Review Edgar and Jesse’s Vision about New Mexico Museum of Art in Santa Fe Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Edgar and Jesse’s Vision"
- updated a Santa Fe Travel Page "La Villa Real de la Santa Fe"
Photos in Santa FeSee All Photos (126)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 90 reviews, 388 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 308 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 43 reviews, 140 photos
- San Diego Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 31 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 33 reviews, 126 photos