"Voices of the Past" Petroglyph National Monument by goodfish
Petroglyph National Monument Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 49 photos
130,000 years ago, a lava flow from six violent volcanic eruptions flowed over and around the waterways and hills in this area on the west side of Albuquerque. Over the next many thousands of years, slow erosion of the soft soils underneath the hardened lava eroded away to form canyons and caused the heavy volcanic basalt to break into large pieces. Nomadic Hunter-Gatherers chased game through this region 10,000 years ago, and later prehistoric peoples constructed earthen, multi-storied villages (like the one at Taos) and planted crops along the nearby Rio Grande. These ancestors of some of today's pueblo tribes painstakingly carved the majority of 25,000 images of plants, birds, animals, people and mysterious shapes into the tumbled black stones within the Monument.
- Pros:Fascinating, inexpensive, easily accessible
- Cons:Hot, shadeless, close to civilization
Daypack Study, closed-toe shoes (for walking deep sand), hat, sunglasses - it's very hot and dry here in the summer. A... more travel advice
The constant stream of visitors is tough on our National Parks and occasionally trails may be closed or re-directed to... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Petroglyph National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Voices of the Past"
- "Pre-history surrounded by the city"
- "Welcome to Petroglyph National Monument"
- "Petroglyph National Monument - Albuquerque NM"
- "Basaic Petroglyph National Moument Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petroglyph National Monument
- Transportation in Petroglyph National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Petroglyph National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petroglyph National Monument
- 15 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Petroglyph National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petroglyph National Monument
- Posted in Travel Rome Forum "Re: about smoking.."
- updated a Petroglyph National Monument Travel Page "Voices of the Past"
- Commented on one of goodfish's Petroglyph National Monument travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Voices of the Past"
- Wrote a Review The right stuff in Petroglyph National Monument What to Pack
Photos in Petroglyph National MonumentSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 90 reviews, 387 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 308 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 41 reviews, 129 photos
- Florence Intro, 31 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues