"St. Paul - Minnesota's Grand Old City" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul by goodfish

Saint Paul Travel Guide: 283 reviews and 556 photos

In a Pig's Eye

St. Paul is the 2nd largest city in Minnesota and the elder, slightly more dignified twin sister of Minneapolis. It was once the rowdy settlement of Pig's Eye, after the notorious bootlegger/trader Pierre "Pig's Eye" Parrant, but was re-christened after Father Lucan Galtier established the St. Paul Catholic Church here in the 1840's.

You can still find some shreds of her formerly rowdy self if you happen to be here for St. Patrick's Day, the Minnesota State Fair or a hockey game at the Xcel Energy Center (home of the Minnesota Wild) but St. Paul usually feels a little quieter, a little more academic, than Minneapolis. It has exchanged a little less of its original stone and brick for modern steel and glass and has more activities for families than her twin.

A trip "across the river" is a favorite day out for us, when we have free time. There are great museums, restaurants, bars, festivals, parks and other fun places to go in our capital city. Oh, and lest I forget, it's also home to the greatest (in our opinion) minor league baseball team in the U.S. - the St. Paul Saints!

A note about nightlife: we barely make the 9:00 news and are far more likely to tip a pint in the afternoon than in the evening. That said, my nightlife tips are for places that are good for tippling in daylight as well as after dark, and can often be cross-referenced as restaurant tips.

• Last visit to Saint Paul: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 6, 2009

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2013 at 3:15 AM

I should have visited when my cousin worked there, but the weather had him relocating soon ;-)))

• goodfish's Profile Photo
      Dec 1, 2013 at 3:49 AM

LOL!!! We just had some new member post that she was going to be here in February (as part of a much larger trip) and had ice fishing on her itinerary. Couldn't help posting the question of if she REALLY wanted to be here in February as I certainly don't!!!!

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
      Dec 1, 2013 at 5:48 AM

Happy birthday, Ken. Have nice celebrations.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 2:30 PM

During my short trips to here years ago-I did not get to see all those sites you feature-UGH. You did a fine job of presenting this city with good comments and pictures.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Great tips on Saint Paul Kate. You're right - Kasha will enjoy! I'd love to go to the State Fair but we won't be there in time. I will love Summit Ave! Definitely going to Mickey's too.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Kate, what a lovely group of pages about Saint Paul. I especially liked Mikey's Diner, River Boat Grill, La Grolla, Grand Shopping, the conservatory, the awesome carousel, Cathedral, and Summit Ave. homes.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Too bad they didn't keep the name Pig's Eye for the city -- but I see they still have two islands with that name. Over here St. Paul is known mainly as the home of Prairie Home Companion. Why does that jazz place have a higher age limit on Tuesdays?

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2008 at 6:57 AM

Nice tips!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Someday, I hope to eat at Mickey's Diner. Glad to see that there is a piece of New Jersey in St. Paul! It looks like a lovely city.

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Kathy, What a hoot! You are wonderfully expressive & fact filled with Gr8 tips & superb photos. That sausage looks a full meal-loved the riverboats. Used to live in Lauderdale so trip down memory lane much appreciated. The Fair coverage nostalgic. Doug

• Dec 8, 2007 at 8:16 PM

I was in awe to get 221 hits for places around the world when I typed "St.Paul" - it's however exactly the one in Minnesota I was interested in as it's where the story of my current book takes place. Thanks for your highlights! Marina

goodfish Visits Here Frequently!

goodfish

“Itineraries are for sissies”

Badges & Stats in Saint Paul

Have you been to Saint Paul?

Latest Activity in Saint Paul