"Minnesota's Grand Old City" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul by goodfish
Saint Paul Travel Guide: 284 reviews and 569 photos
St. Paul is the 2nd largest city in Minnesota and the elder, slightly more dignified twin sister of Minneapolis. It was once the rowdy settlement of Pig's Eye, after the notorious bootlegger/trader Pierre "Pig's Eye" Parrant, but was re-christened after Father Lucan Galtier established the St. Paul Catholic Church here in the 1840's.
You can still find some shreds of her formerly rowdy self if you happen to be here for St. Patrick's Day, the Minnesota State Fair or a hockey game at the Xcel Energy Center (home of the Minnesota Wild) but St. Paul usually feels a little quieter, a little more academic, than Minneapolis. It has exchanged a little less of its original stone and brick for modern steel and glass, and has more activities for families than her twin.
A trip "across the river" is a favorite day out for us. There are great museums, restaurants, bars, festivals, parks and other fun places to go in our capital city. Oh, and lest I forget, it's also home to the greatest (in our opinion) minor league baseball team in the U.S.: the St. Paul Saints!
A note about nightlife: we barely make the 9:00 news, and are far more likely to tip a pint in the afternoon than in the evening. That said, my nightlife tips are for places good for tippling in daylight as well as after dark, and can often be cross-referenced as restaurant tips.
One of my favorite little corners of St. Paul, Irvine Park is a mere block or two off the downtown drag but rarely found... more travel advice
This is a great way to start, or end, a walk of the amazing architecture on Summit Avenue (see previous tip). The James... more travel advice
goodfish's Related Pages
Saint Paul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Minnesota's Grand Old City"
- "Saint Paul"
- "Saint Paul, Minnesota"
- "St. Paul, Minnesota"
- "Pig's Eye Landing"
- "Minnesota's State Capital"
- "The Elder Brother of the Twin Cities"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Paul
- Hotels in Saint Paul
- Transportation in Saint Paul
- Nightlife in Saint Paul
- Restaurants in Saint Paul
- Shopping in Saint Paul
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Paul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Paul
- 31 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (173)
Have you been to Saint Paul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Paul
Photos in Saint PaulSee All Photos (120)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 90 reviews, 388 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 81 reviews, 308 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 74 reviews, 256 photos
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 57 reviews, 189 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 43 reviews, 140 photos
- San Diego Intro, 33 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 38 reviews, 138 photos
- Florence Intro, 31 reviews, 131 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 123 photos, 2 travelogues